Carnival Valor Cruise Review by jedisooze: Meh.

jedisooze
Member Since 2010

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Valor Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Meh.

Sail Date: January 2013

This is the third cruise my husband and I have been on. Previously we have sailed on the Liberty and Glory. The Valor is exactly like the Liberty and Glory, just with different decor.

I was a little disappointed with my cruise this time, perhaps because of the economy I expect my dollar to go a bit further than it did on the Valor. We had two scheduled sea days on our trip, plus one extra because we didn't stop in Grand Turk due to weather issues. This is the second cruise I've been on where the ship didn't dock at one of the scheduled ports, and it's a major disappointment. Chiefly because life aboard the ship is BORING. I'm not into drinking myself into a stupor or playing bingo. Sure, I was looking forward to a bit of a rest with a Pina Colada by the pool, but three days of it was excessive. I spent most of the time doing crossword puzzles on my Kindle. By the end of the cruise my husband and I were snappish with each other because we'd been crammed into our stateroom More together for so long.

We had issues with trashy neighbors smoking, slamming doors, and talking loudly/laughing till all hours of the day and night. We had to call guest services to complain once, and they seemed more than willing to help. I'm just not eager to put myself in that environment again.

By the time the cruise was over I was pretty sick of being bled dry for every penny to my name. Not only by the cruise staff trying to sell me everything from pictures to credit cards, but by the locals in the ports who see giant dollar signs every time a ship comes in. We nearly got hustled in Nassau by a woman giving out "free" necklaces, only asking for a "donation" for the "disabled kids" who made them. We were set to give her $5, she cajoled us into $10, and nearly walked off with the $20 we gave her to get change back. Ok, so I'm gullible and didn't realize I'd been had until it was over - just a warning to future cruisers to watch out for stuff like that.

The food was good. Not in the buffet - actually that seems to have gone downhill. But room service and the dining room is good, and the pizza was actually better than what was offered on the Glory. Orange juice and apple juice in the Lido buffet was horribly watered down.

My husband and I spent a lot of money for this vacation that could have gone to other things in our life and I honestly don't feel I got my money's worth on this trip. I could have stayed home and done crossword puzzles on my Kindle for a week and saved a lot of money and trouble. Less

Read more Carnival Valor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Valor Review >>

Spent $140 on a trip to the beach. Beaches are free in most ports. Not really happy about that one.