Celebrity Constellation Cruise Review by keesar: Weekend Cruise on the Celebrity

keesar
Member Since 2008

Compare Prices on Celebrity Constellation Bahamas Cruises

Weekend Cruise on the Celebrity

Sail Date: January 2013
Destination: Bahamas

Let me start that I was rather apprehensive about booking this cruise due to comments made by some past passengers. However, I have come to realize that there are people who will never be happy and just love to complain about anything.

We arrived at the Port of Miami and were left off at the Constellation boarding site. It was a warehouse that was converted for our checkin. The ship was not originally scheduled to be in port as I was told. We commented to each other that new cruisers to Celebrity would wonder if this was the economy class cruise! Even the staff laughed about the location. When we checked in, we had an option of taking an elevator or walking up stairs. We did the stairs with our carry ons.

We were greet with oj, mimosas or champagne and proceeded to the luncheon area. When we entered, a staff person greeted us and asked if he could find us a table. A real nice beginning to service which continued throughout. He got us a table at a window More overlooking Miami. Our rooms were ready at 2:15 due to a Coast Guard inspection and after lunch we proceeded to our room. We were greeted by our room steward who showed us our room and offered us a pillow menu. We took advantage of that. He also had my shoes shined and that something I have never had done on a ship. We had two fresh arrangements of flowers which was nice. What was interesting is that our beds were not made on the second day until dinner time. The room had a safe and tons of storage. Carpeting appeared new and was clean. The room was specifically chosen by our Celebrity Cruise Planner who was also on the cruise along with staff from the main office. Our room was quiet and we could see the stars at night and got sun while in port in Nassau. A good location.

Food was real tasty. I am a blue cheese lover and it was not available on our previous two S-class sailings. A bowl of chunks of blue cheese was there for each lunch. The food was real good for lunch and there were no waiting for tables. There were two ice cream stations open during lunch and one during other times. Dinner service and food was excellent. We had a table for 2 and our waiters, Salvador and Katja, were probably among the best we ever had. Food was served hot. I had the prime rib and the cedar plank blackened salmon and they were just outstanding. They offered cold fruit soups at lunch and dinner and they were well prepared. The French onion soup and creme brule are worth mentioning.

There are advantages to sailing on this class ship. There were no long waits for elevators. Pool and solarium chairs were always available. We never had a crowded feeling. We arrived at the evening theater and there were no chair hogs as seats were easily available. They had these strap chairs on the balconies of rooms and on the top deck. Looked tired. There were cushioned chairs by the pools. I liked the old wooden style chairs in the solarium.

We really enjoyed the entertainment. The party band, Top Notch, was excellent and appeared to enjoy performing. We had heard them on Solstice last spring and they have added another female singer. The steel drum band and the piano player/singer were talented. The comedian was real funny although that can be subjective. He was able to be funny without a script of jokes. The theater performance, iHollywood, showcased a group of talented singers and dancers. We enjoyed them and it appeared the audience did as well. The Celebrity live orchestra was outstanding.

The crowd on this cruise was not like our other Celebrity cruises. May well have been the FUN Ship crowd. The casino and bars were hopping at midnight. People were complaining about the lack of servers and bar attendants. On our other Celebrity cruises, people went to bed after the last show and the bars and casinos were sparsely populated. I think the low price and long weekend attracted a different passenger. There were several weddings held on this short cruise.

We heard the typical complainers on the ship. One woman went on and on about a broken ice machine but there were other ice machines nearby that were working just fine. Another woman complained that she could not serve herself the hot food and had to rely on a server. It is called viruses and germs.

A large number of staff was involved getting the ship ready for a theme cruise. That was mildly annoying for us. Also, the newly appointed cruise director, Esperanza, was nowhere to be seen except for very brief appearances at shows. She was really involved when she had been the activities director on the Solstice.

There was some confusion regarding leaving the ship. They encouraged guests to walk off with their luggage. Guest Relations offered me luggage tags when I inquired but we walked off as we had travelled light. We docked at 7:30 and we left our room shortly before 8 am and were through Customs and outside at 8:20. We were at FLL at 9:15 via shuttle after picking up 8 more passengers at other cruise ships.

I would definitely sail this ship again. Less

Read more Celebrity Constellation cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Constellation Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Constellation 8171

8171 was quiet and clean. Easy access to the breakfast and lunch dining area. Cabin appeared to have been updated.

The warehouse was unlike our other check-ins with Celebrity. Not a good start for many. Miami is a great port to leave from as it is really scenic. We cleared customs rather quickly which has not been our experience at Port Everglades.
Read 161 Miami Reviews