Carnival Glory Cruise Review by Minkster1973: Cruisin' to 40 on the Carnival Glory

Minkster1973
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Cruisin' to 40 on the Carnival Glory

Sail Date: January 2013

This first time cruiser did plenty of research prior to my cruise, and I had mixed feelings about what I read. There was a plethora of negative reviews about the service, quality of the food, and the overall worth of the Carnival experience. Still, I kept my mind open and maintained realistic expectations.

The embarkation process wasn't as long as initially expected. There were tons of people corralled into lines to get through security. The lines moved consistently and we made it through in about 20 minutes. We started just inside the first set of doors.

Once through security we were then corralled into lines for our Sign & Sail cards. Again, a very smooth process that didn't take more than ten minutes. The longest wait was in the final line where pictures were being taken.

It took just over an hour to board the ship, and by the time we stepped on board our cabins were ready. My cabin was an interior cabin, #1048, and it was much better than I expected. It More had three closets, one with drawers, and a dresser with the makeup table within the room. We had it set up with two twin beds, and the room had plenty of space to move around for two occupants. The bathroom was nice sized and, again, more than I expected.

The party had already started on lido and my group enjoyed the atmosphere. Carnival staff was very accommodating and a server was always near to make sure we didn't see the bottom of our glasses.

I didn't attend many of the entertainment shows, but a group of people I met on board did and they were very happy with them. We tried to go to a comedy show, but we showed up too late to get a seat. It appeared to always be packed to capacity. Don't run late for the shows, people. I couldn't get that through my party's heads. We ran late EVERYWHERE.

The ship was clean. Day and night, I noticed staff cleaning with a smile on their faces. Carnival crew appear to love what they do, and that makes the experience so much better for guests. I had no issues forcing me into lines at Guest Services.

A cruise is what you make of it. I met a couple that complained about everything and their presence in conversations, in my opinion, was miserable. All they spoke about was how much better another cruise line was when compared to Carnival. They were rude to staff to the point of embarrassment and I avoided them as much as I could.

Perhaps it's because I didn't have another full cruise to compare it to, as I had only done one over night cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to Nassau, Bahamas, spent the weekend on the island, and then an overnight cruise back to Ft. Lauderdale. I just don't understand what it is that people think is missing. It's a reasonably priced vacation where people make your bed, cook for you, attempt to entertain you, and they do it with a huge smile on their faces even if you're being ridiculous.

And if you're so in love with the quality of a vacation on another cruise line, stick with it. For some of us, Carnival is wonderful. It meets all of our expectations and we couldn't ask for more. Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Glory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Glory Interior Panorama 1048

Very quiet, dark interior cabin. Lots of closet space and a bathroom much larger than expected. Close to elevators and easy access to lido, hot tub, and the water slide. Actually, the location of the cabin is great because it's easy to get to just about anywhere on the ship.

FlowRider

(5.5)
My friends would say this was their favorite port. They rode the FlowRider. Even as a spectator, it was tons of fun and I got tons of great pictures of the guys flat on their backs. So funny!

Margaritaville

(5.5)
Margaritaville was a blast and we were all relieved to have the poolside cabana to relax in. It was great to have a common meeting place for our group and a place to put our personal items behind a locked door. It was air conditioned, but none of us cared about that. We all enjoyed the heat. The rest of my party took off down the beach for some jerk chicken that they didn't have time to eat, and I took off the other way for some more shopping and drinks. To really experience Margaritaville, brings lots of money. The drinks aren't cheap. But the atmosphere is a huge party and it is entertaining to grab a table and watch. I planned to order an appetizer from Margaritaville, but the service was slow. I waved my menu for almost 45 minutes and no one came to help me. I finally gave up and decided I would get something once I returned to the ship. That is the only negative part of my trip. Slow, almost non-existent service at Margaritaville. Seriously, if you're not a part of the wild party, you're almost invisible. For future reference, I hope they realize they're missing out on good, hard-earned money from those of us who aren't stumbling around making fools of ourselves.

My group had a nice afternoon at Nassau. We walked from shop to shop purchasing trinkets and such and then had a nice lunch at Athena Cafe, where I had the best Greek salad and hummus I have ever tasted. We sat out on the balcony and people watched. It was very relaxing and we all enjoyed it immensely.
Read 2625 Nassau Reviews

San Juan ended up being my favorite port. My party actually considered not even getting off the ship as they had no interest in seeing the city. I told them I would go alone and two of my friends decided to come with me. We walked through the town and I fell in love with the close quarters, narrow, cobblestone streets, and the hustle and bustle of the town. We walked down to a great fountain at the end of the island, took tons of wonderful pictures of the old fort walls, and stopped at a quaint, little place called Cafe de Le Princessa for shrimp and pina coladas.
Read 1361 San Juan Reviews

In St. Thomas I chose to walk around again. I did some trinket shopping and found a nice little bar just off the ship to drink margaritas and make some phone calls to back home. The bar staff was very nice and the margaritas were quite tasty.
Read 2323 St. Thomas Reviews