Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review by lovestocruisealso

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review by lovestocruisealso
Navigator of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Member Name: lovestocruisealso
Cruise Date: January 2013
Embarkation: New Orleans
Cabin Category: G
See More About: Navigator of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Member Rating   Not Rated
Dining Not Rated
Public Rooms Not Rated
Cabins Not Rated
Entertainment Not Rated
Embarkation Not Rated
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Nice with some not so nice
We flew to New Orleans and got there around 1:30 to meet a huge group of people. I didn't like going through 3 rooms of wait lists. Went to eat at Jade and didn't realize there was a better restaurant at the Windjammer just behind it. Hot dogs and greasy chicken was not very good for our first meal.

We got a great price on a room on the 3rd floor. It did have a bad odor getting to it in the hallway, but our room was fine. I was worried about noise from the nightclub, but we heard nothing. Toilets and shower worked fine. Carpeting on all floors to cabins needs replaced. Main areas of the ship were very nice and well maintained.

I got to thinking at the last minute, that perhaps what we saved, we could get a drink package. The price was $630 for two for the week for wine and beer. Each cabin member had to get the package. It was nice to not have to worry about the money and perhaps we did drink more than we would have normally. The wine was bottom of the barrel cheap. Ironically, the merlot tasted okay, but by the end of the week, my body didn't like it. In hindsight, buying a better glass of wine may have been better. Hubby liked his beer package.

Then on the last day of the cruise, I got the norovirus. I was up all night long, and very worried about the double plane ride home. Fortunately that went well, and the $10 extra per flight was worth advanced seating on Southwest. Very weak the next day. Laundry had to wait.

The food was adequate. I can't say we had bad food but nothing to write home about. Breakfast on Celebrity's buffet was always an adventure. Very creative every morning! The food was the same every day on RC. Lunches were okay. Lots of salt though, as my face and fingers were swollen from the start. Dinners in the main dining room were okay. Steaks were tough, fish was fine, lobster was small. I guess we just got spoiled on previous cruises, and I know the ships have to cut somewhere with the price of fuel.

Now the good: I liked the ship layout, service was good. There was more entertainment aboard ship than Celebrity, which I liked. A crazy mardi gras night dancing to oldies in the Promenade was a lot of fun. We were close to the Seattle coffee shop so that was great. I would have to say it was more of a fun ship. The entertainment musical groups were pretty good.

The weather got very hot in Jamaica, cloudy in Grand Cayman, very windy in Cozumel, and down right cold and windy on last sea day. So our weather was not the best, and very little tan for me. We did the river raft in Jamaica which was good, and Passion Island would have been better had it not been so windy. But they did a nice buffet on Passion Island and guacamole & mahi was great. The beach was nice to walk on barefoot.

I was disappointed in the little things you got on Celebrity that was missing here: No beach bag, no Q-tips & cotton, no cream rinse, no lotions, no midnight chocolate, no water pitcher. Also, on Celebrity you didn't need to lug your towels all week so you didn't get charged. So, I had to buy a beach bag. I probably shouldn't compare, but being the same parent company, I thought it would be the same.

But looking back on our photos, yes, we did have fun. It was a nice getaway, but we spent too much. Sigh, I guess that is to be expected.

Bottom line, you should try Celebrity as the captains club points are combined.

Publication Date: 01/28/13