Carnival Legend Cruise Review by laxwest

Embarkation: Tampa
Cabin Category: 4A
Dining 5+

1st Time Cruiser Good Experience
1st Day: At Sea The Carnival Legend was fun as this was my first cruise. First off, embarkment day was fast and friendly. It took about 30 minutes to board the ship from the time we got through security at the terminal. We were called by our zone number to board the ship which was fast and painless. An advice is to come early so you get an early zone number. I think it was worth the wait at the cruise terminal just so that I can board the ship earlier than the rest of the guest. Some people were impatient which made the whole process more difficult than it should have been. We went through x-ray machine and securities but it was painless. It is not as strict as Carnival makes it sounds like. It is much smoother than at the airport. Once on the ship, we went to the Lido deck 9 which that is the only deck you can go on for the moment and ate some pretty decent food/buffet: Chinese, Italian, American, and Salad. I can say that I have had better food/buffet than this but considering the fact that we were stuck on this cruise for 7 days, it was fine with me; better than McDonalds LOL. We weren't allow to go into our rooms until 1:30pm which seemed a long time since we had our luggage with us the whole time. Thank goodness we gave our check in luggage to the porter to take to our stateroom otherwise it would have been more of a hassle. When we got into our rooms on deck 1 Rivera, cheap rooms but since we spend most of our time outside our room, there was no point of paying more for a balcony or "VIP" room, it was in nice and decent condition. The rooms looks bigger in person than from the pictures. I can say that the television needs an upgrade to flat screen but I barely watch television since this is a cruise after all. The first day was all about exploring the ship and meeting new people, if they wanted to interact. The staff was nice and friendly as they started to learn your name.

2nd day: Fun Day at Sea It was actually a fun day at sea since we attended many of the activities on the "to-do-list". Most of the activities were fun but I can say after staying 7 days at sea, drinking a cold beer/sipping on a mix drink was the best activity you can do while enjoying the sun. Again, the food was okay as and the staffs were friendly as they can be without being rude. Most of the staff I came across always said hi or ask how I was doing. As for the restrooms, it was in okay clean condition considering how many people were using them. I prefer to use my own stateroom bathroom instead. The elagent dining experience was awesome. We request the same staff, Wesely, Mark, and Leo, since they were very fast, nice, and friendly when they served us. Our food came out hot and fresh. I can say this service was 5 times better than any dining I have ever been to in America. Later on that night, we went to Medusa's Lair to go clubbing. Boy, were these people boring! There was nobody dancing on the dance floor and everybody was so serious and just sitting back and chilling like VIP people. I mean come-on, this is a club, dance people. So the 4 of us got some shots down and we were parting like crazy. Everybody was looking at us like what the heck were we doing. All of us had fun while everybody else watch until two other couples in came to dance. People are too serious at times on the cruise ship, and I mean the guests. They need to loosen up, it's club and you are on vacation, act like it!

3rd day: Cozumel, Mexico This was by far one of my favorite ports. I can come back to Cozumel any time in the near future and enjoy it as much as I did during the cruise. The people there were somewhat pushy and always asking if we wanted to buy something or go on an excursion, but I think that was their job and how it works there in Mexico. They have to make a living too right? For this port, we booked a private excursion through Island Marketing Ltd which at first I was afraid to book a private excursion but after reading many reviews about the company, I had enough trust and book the Parasailing excursion. It was a breeze to find the pier for the parasailing as there were also 2 other groups already waiting at the pier. Our parasailing was at 10:30am ship time so since we dock around 9am, we had plenty of time to go souvenir shopping. When it came time to meet up at the pier, we had to pay the full amount up front and was also charged a $2/person for using a "private" pier. I think it was just some BS but who am I to argue, its just $2. The guides were nice, friendly, and informative. My girlfriend and I both flew at the same time and we were up there for roughly 10 minutes before I got sick and decided to signal and come back down. I can honestly say that it was very fun but I don't get along well with the waviness of the sea. The other couples stayed up in the air for 15 minute. The overall excursion lasted about 1.5 hours. We paid $40 for 4 people to reserve the spot and the full amount of $160 when we got to the pier so that's not too bad. Each person cost $50 for 10 minutes and $100 for two people flying together for 15 minutes. We got back with enough time to rent scooters for $30 each scooter since we bargin down the price from $45. The roads in Cozumel was somewhat rough and traffic was kind of scary if you are not use to driving close and during busy traffic. The only thing that was bad about the scooter was that one of the scooters we rented was dying and that ruined our adventure. Still, we had enough time to visit some of the beaches and the lighthouse. Back on the ship, entering the Legend again was fast and easy. There is security and an x-ray machine to check your bags. Later on that day, we enjoy many of the activities and again went to dining. Also, for casual dining, people wear all sort of clothing such as flip flops, shorts, etc.. so do be scared to wear that if you want.

4th Day Costa Maya On this day, we were supposed to go to Belize but it got canceled due to some contract or issues with Belize government. Anyways, we were schedule to port at Costa Maya but it got canceled because it was very windy and some other issue that the captain had decided that it was not safe for the Legend to dock. Sounds weird to me because I spoke to this lady from another ship (Norwegian Cruise ship) when we stopped at Mahogany Bay during an excursion and they ended up docking there and it was no problem. So, that made me believe that Carnival probably never attend to stop at Costa Maya in the first place. Anyways, screw them for lying. So this turned out to be another fun day at sea which was like every other fun day that ended up with us jugging down shots and chilling in the sun. We attend the magic and comedy shows that was decent but got old after seven days. We also attend the comedy show only for adults in which was okay as well. We ended up playing pool in the casino which was challenging since the ship was rocking back-n-forth and the balls will move sometimes. This particular night, we tried some of the sushi and it was okay but some of the sushi, which probably been sitting for a while, tasted like rock.

5th Mahogany Bay This port had plenty of small shops to explore. For this port, we book a private zip-line and beach excursion through Viator. It was pretty easy to find our private guide as many of the people selling excursions told us how to get there. Once we found our guide, we had to wait for 15 minutes since there was two large groups attending this excursion and the van only fitted 14 people. So we were enlisted to go on the second bus. It took about 30 minutes to get to our zip-lining site. The road was bumpy but we had a chance to really see the town. Once at the zip-line place, we had to meet our zip-line guides. They went through the safety rules and was nice and friendly. This particular course had 15 zip-lines and the longest zip-line was about 1000 feet long and about 500 feet high. The guide let us do stunts such as superman and backflips with their assistance though. This excursion lasted about 2 hours and we had plenty of time to take pictures while zip-lining and the guides were able to take our pictures while zip-lining. After the zip-line, we went to the beach which was about 10 minutes away from the zip-line area. I forgot the beach name but it was a nice beach but there were people always bugging us to buy there stuff. Also, we had to pay $10 to use the beach which I thought was wrong but they were going to kick us of the beach if we didn't pay. So just pay up if you have to unless it's a ridiculous price. Our shuttle van driver told us to meet up at 1pm ship time since we had to be back on the ship by 3pm. The driver was late and it has been 30 minutes and it takes about 1 hour to get back to the port. We were worried so we got another driver that was there to take back to the zip-lining area and see where the heck our driver was. We eventually got this situation taken care of and supposedly it was just an misunderstanding. First of all, the shuttle driver was not suppose to leave us alone at anytime according to the tour guide at the meeting site. This was a bad experience out of the whole process since it ruined our extra time on the port. After the whole thing was set and done, we got back to the port and had only 20 minutes left to enjoy. We were really disappointed but I wouldn't let that ruin our experience here in Mahogany Bay.

6th Day Grand Cayman This was my favorite port of all. The area is coral protected so Carnival arrange some boats to transfer all the guest to and from the island. It was somewhat troublesome but at the end, we got on the island. The island is British territory so it was a little different to me. I like how on this port, people don't push you to buy things but you weren't able to bargin with the prices. We didn't go to Seven Mile Beach as we book a snorkeling excursion through Carnival. So we went shopping for the next 2 hours and met up with the staff at the port for the snorkeling excursion. We had to wait for a while as the bus that was schedule to pick us up was running late. Once on the air-condition bus, it was a short 5 minute ride to the snorkeling area. Our guides were nice and friendly but they stress too much over some points that was just plain common sense. I understand safety but some of the information they lecture us was about was pointless. Anyways, briefing took around 1 hour. Once in the water, our guide was showing us fishes and corals we would of miss if we didn't listen or follow them. Our group did our own thing even though this was our first time snorkeling in which it did not require any skills to snorkel. One thing about the guides is that it got annoying when he would stop and yell at other snorkelers as they were wondering too far off and would threaten to turn the snorkeling adventure back to the shore. We spent about 50 minutes in the water. We did see a few different kinds of fish but I did expect it to be more. I think I could of done this excursion myself since it was so close to the port or having to pay $35 for it. Since the excursion took about 2.5 hours to complete, it did not give us enough time to visit Seven Mile Beach. This excursion was supposed to be only 1.5 hour but since the briefing took about 1 hour, it was such a disappointment. Back at the port, we just hung out at the Tiki bar and shop some more until it was time to go back. Overall, fun and beautiful ship, I just wouldn't book any excursions after exploring all the ports since all ports have people selling excursion already and for a better price than Carnival. Don't be fooled by Carnival when they say that if you book through them, that they won't leave you at the port. THEY WILL LEAVE YOU BEHIND AND NOT TURN BACK. TRUST ME! YOU WILL HAVE TO FIND YOUR OWN WAY BACK TO THE NEXT PORT OR FLY BACK HOME IF YOU HAVE A PASSPORT.

7th Day Fun Day at Sea This day was all about relaxing and chilling back. By now, the buffet/food was getting old and you can tell that most of the staff members were losing their energy. When we made it back to the port the next morning, the debarkation process was slow and took forever. I suggest you get most of your stuff pack the night before since they want everybody out of their stateroom by 9am and head to deck 3 and deck 9. I recommend staying near or on deck 3 so that you can leave the ship faster. The stairs and elevators were packed with people. It was a big mess and Carnival promised a fast and painless process. Were they wrong! We were called by which deck we stayed on to leave the ship. It was so crowed that our group decided to just stay in line and when we get to the checkout, we'll just tell the security guards that we're late for our flight. When we got to the checkout, they didn't even say anything so I think that Carnival make it seem as you will get in trouble if you checkout before your deck is called but they don't even care so just get in line and get out. If you had your bags pick up the night before then make sure to stay at the cruise terminal and pick up your bags. I highly recommend just dragging your own luggage and bags out of the ship even though you will have to deal with stairs, escalators, and people. Trust me on this, when we got out of the cruise terminal and took a taxi to our hotel 4 miles away. We checked in, got settled down and went to go look around and eat. When we got back to the hotel, we talk to some guests from the same ship in which they just got back from the cruise terminal since they had to wait to pick up their luggage and they waited for their deck to be called to leave. I believe we got off the ship around 10am and these people got off the ship and waited for their luggage until 12pm and just finally got to their hotel around 1pm. So if you don't mind waiting, I say go for it. I was glad that we did not take part in that slow process. Overall, since this our first cruise, it was fun but some things could have been better. I hope Carnival fixes some of these issues they had and I'm pretty sure they are aware of it and probably won't do anything about it.

Publication Date: 01/28/13