Carnival Spirit Cruise Review by ginjale50: NOT HAPPY IN JANUARY

NOT HAPPY IN JANUARY

Sail Date: January 2013
Destination: South Pacific
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)

THE GOOD - The ship was pleasant, kept clean and tidy, plentiful food (just hard to fight your way to). Ports were lovely and staff approachable.

THE BAD - Not much to do on sea days, the same offerings for activities just repeated over and over. Bored of bean bag toss etc.

THE UGLY - Never seen so many dreadfully behaved children. Parents need to be approached, for the comfort of other people, and advised to discipline or at least keep watch on their children, not to let them go crazy all over the ship.
The teens and younger just formed little gangs, and were in the lovely phaoroahs palace standing on the tables, jumping over furniture and putting their shoes up on the glass screens, whilst we waited for bingo to begin.
Parents let 5 year olds roam the stairs and lifts, all with 2500 strangers on board.
Witnessed a young girl with her mother, who tried to enter a glass lift, and knocked over a glass of coke, spilling it everywhere. Two young boys found More it amusing to sit in the lifts and ride them up and down, sitting on the floor with their drinks. The poor little girl ran out crying as she thought she would be in trouble.
The teen girls also were in gangs, and they completely ruined my and my daughters holiday. They were staring, pointing and whispering and laughing at other young girls who weren't in their gang. My daughter was victimized and it deeply upset her, as she is a very shy girl.

THE EXCELLENT - The staff that I dealt with were wonderful, from guest relations to the room steward. They work so hard for so little pay or rest, and they put most aussies to shame. They leave their families for 7 or so months, and they have to clean those rooms, waiting for people to leave, and then do it again in the evening, with very little time off. I can only imagine the state of the rooms that they would have to deal with. The entertainment staff were also terrific and hardworking. Stu gets a bad rap, as he never seemed to sleep!

I did this cruise with my 12 year old, quiet, and now most obviously well-brought up daughter, for my 50th Birthday. We had previously started with two p and o cruises, and then did the radiance of the seas. I would go on the radiance again in a heartbeat, much better behaved adults and children, just can't compare carnival in any way to royal carribbean, as they are worlds apart. What should have been a fun and wonderful time, was so sadly disappointing. I thought that being in school holidays, it would be a great time for my daughter to have fun and make some friends. The circle c group was always abandoned, and these young kids were also in gangs roaming the ship.
Met a few really nice people, and really enjoyed the shore tours, especially the flying fox in suva, although they were all, as previously stated, highly overpriced.
Stu did a great job, always affable and smiling, probably under extreme duress at times, and he never stopped. He is obviously a nice guy all round, even out of work times, as I saw him in my local newsagency in my small country home town, and he was just as pleasant and willing to chat as he appeared onboard.
Gayve tried so hard to keep the kids in the bingo lounge under control, good luck with that Gayve, and he even endured the computer breakdown again and happily did the bingo the old fashioned way.
That's about it for now, live and learn I guess (and spend way too much money). Less

Read more Carnival Spirit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Spirit Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Spirit Suite Main

Noumea is a hot, dirty place, and as I'd been before and was disappointed with it, but wanted to do something different, I chose the Zodiak ride to Duck Island, which was good fun. Not much there, but beautiful water to swim/snorkel in. Mystery Island was beautiful, just a place to swim and relax etc. Port Denarau Fiji was lovely. The friendliest people I have ever seen, and so happy, its contagious. It was why I wanted to return after not being there since I was about 14 years old, and the people are genuinely friendly. We did a lovely catamaran cruise to South Sea Island, for a blissful day of relaxation, swimming and generally distressing. A glass bottom boat trip was included, as was a lovely lunch and some beautiful singing by the lovely locals. After the cyclone all the coral was destroyed, but it was still worth the visit. Suva was the place for the flying fox. Once again lovely locals, and very professional, easing the worries of this scared 50 year old, who was doing it for her daughters sake! Enjoyed it immensely. Lifou is a lovely place with the most beautiful crystal clear, aqua coloured water. We did a local tour to the forest and secret grotto. It was an interesting tour, and my daughter loved the stalactites etc. Worth doing.
Read 70 Noumea Reviews