Crown Princess Cruise Review by txbutterfly

Cruise Date: January 2013
Embarkation: Galveston
Cabin Category: BD
Cabin Number: B304
See More About: Crown Princess Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Don't miss out because of a disability.
We sailed on the Crown Princess out of Galveston on January 5. My DH dropped everyone off at the terminal with our luggage and walked the block to BOI valet parking http://www.boivalet.com/index.html ($65). This is a big dark warehouse where they take your keys and give you a ticket off a roll. We were a little concerned, but it turned out to be a blessing. We will definitely use them again. You call them when you get through customs and they have your car ready when you get there. My DH was back with the car while others were still waiting on a shuttle.

We were on board and in our room quicker than we thought. We had accessible cabin B304. The room is huge. There was plenty of room for my Travelscoot. I could ride directly out of the room to the elevators. I never had to worry about the cleaning carts. Chai was our amazing room steward who met our every need. He was always there when I came back alone to open the door and make sure I got in ok. I never once had to ask for help. One nice thing is that you can sleep on either side of the bed because there is plenty of room on each side of the bed for scooter or wheelchair. The room has lots of storage, one straight back chair, and one other chair.

The bathroom was fantastic. There were plenty of grab bars. There were two shelves above on the left of the sink and plenty of space on each side of the sink. Do to the fact that you can get a wheelchair right up to the sink there is no storage underneath. The grab bars for the commode are on the right. The shower had a pull down seat and hand held shower. It drained well. We never had water outside the shower even when it got a little rough. The water at the sink had very little pressure, but it was adequate. It was mentioned in another blog about no Kleenex in the bathroom. We had Kleenex in a box on one of the handrails.

I use a C-Pap and couldn't find a plug. Chai came in and told me that he would bring an extension cord. The only plug is a two socket plug on the desk across the room from the beds. Fortunately, I had a surge protector that I could use to plug the extension cord and charge our other devices at the same time. I recommend this because it has a plug on the side for the extension cord http://tinyurl.com/bhb4x7y . The extension cord had a big plug. The cord was not too thick which made it easy to roll over it.

The inside handle on the balcony door also operates the part that makes a ramp to get out on the balcony. The door doesn't close unless that is down. We had to call Chai to show us how to close the door. We didn't know that lowering the handle while the door was open would lower the part so the door would close.

We dined in the De Vinci dining room. Down the elevators and through the casino and we were there. The service was excellent thanks to Nickolay and Carlos. There are no steps in this dining room, and my Travelscoot could be parked nearby. Everything we ordered was delicious. They do not serve lunch in the dining room when in port. I was a little concerned about getting around in the Horizon Court with the Travelscoot. It was not a problem. Someone met me and took me around and fixed my plate. It was really nice that my DH and I could sit down at the same time. We had room service for a breakfast and a lunch. They were there quickly and plenty of hot coffee. The Moroccan Crock Pot is really good.

The highlight of our trip was the Chef's Table. We had been to the Chef's Table on the Sapphire Princess (the menu was the same), and were thrilled to be chosen this time. The Maitre d'Hotel Giorgio Pisano and Chef Giuseppe Gennaro made the evening a pure delight. Seeing the galley while they are actually serving dinner is an eye opening experience, and we were in awe after learning what these two men do. It's thanks to these two men that every time you eat something on the ship the service and food is outstanding. The dinner takes three hours. There are twelve at the table, and on a seven day cruise there is only one Chef's Table. You call the dining room as soon as you get on the ship to get on the list. We are hoping we get to do the Chef's Table on our next cruise.

I had a lot of concerns about this trip, because my mobility has gotten so much worse. There was nothing for me to worry about from beginning to end. I never once had to ask for help. The staff anticipated my every need or a passenger was there to open doors for me. Even in a crowded gift shop the young man came to me, and took my purchases and card so I didn't have to get in the crowd around the register.

We were supposed to dock in Galveston at 5:00 am, but the port was closed due to fog. We had to be out of our rooms at 8 and our departure time was 9:15. While enjoying our last breakfast in the De Vinci we were told it would be a longer delay. Our waitress said in the four years she had been on the Crown this was the first time the delay had been this long. We went to the Wheelhouse to wait, and found a place to sit with a little table where we could play forty two. The ship could not get in to Galveston until 3pm. I must say Princess went above and beyond in making the wait pleasant. They brought in coffee, water, tea, and games. At noon the Horizon Court and Trident Grill were opened for lunch. They opened up the teen and children's centers. The restrooms were kept spotless in spite of the high volume of traffic in and out. We were off the ship and in our car by 5:30. There were lots of people due to depart after us. Those who had booked their flights through Princess had buses waiting for them to take them to hotels for the night, and flights had been arranged for the next day. We felt sorry for all those waiting all day to get on the ship.

We are both looking forward to our next cruise.

Publication Date: 01/28/13