Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by lidolovers

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by lidolovers
Independence of the Seas
Independence of the Seas
Member Name: lidolovers
Cruise Date: January 2013
Cabin Category: Q
See More About: Independence of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Member Rating   Not Rated
Embarkation Not Rated
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Was OK But Did Not Live Up To Expectations
Having sailed Carnival and Princess for many years we decided to take our 2 year old with us and try a new cruise line.

The boarding was fairly easy in Ft Lauderdale with the exception that one of our pieces of luggage disappeared until 8pm and it had our sons stuff in it. Staff was non existent to help find it that first day and try to figure out where it went. Thankfully it arrived eventually.

The staff on this board were all very professional and very nice. The service was excellent. The rooms were quite small and we had got two connecting inside cabins so our son could nap and go to bed early and we could get some peace. It worked amazingly well and the price was pretty good to warrant doing this. The rooms were smaller than Carnival's inside cabins and were nothing special but we did not expect much for the cheapest class cabins. We were on the 9th floor midship and it was a great spot.

The boat had plenty to do, a toy lending program for kids and a tiny little pool for babies that was a bit of a joke but better than nothing as well as shows, a very large casino and some nice lounges.

The dining room was very posh and we had a nice private table.

The selection of food was alright in the dining room for dinner but I didn't find it as good as Carnival or Princess. There was not anything really notable. The presentations were average although I did find the soups very cafeteria looking/smelling/presented. I know it's hard to serve 3000 people but many things were over cooked like the duck and steak.

Breakfasts in the dining room were not so good at all. The selection was weak. I did like that they also have a small buffet in there to get extra things but the food was not usually cooked very well and I really was not impressed. The pancakes were a joke. I am really surprised a 'real' chef allowed these things to be served every day all over the ship. They were terrible.

Another disaster was the pizza. Every ship I have ever been on had great pizza. How anyone could screw up simple pizza is a mystery to me. Especially an American cruise line. It was too soft, very little cheese and sauce, no flavour, just plain terrible. It was almost like eating a dry, soft bread stick. The Pizzeria called Sorentos was nice but was ruined by the pizza. The dining room also had Calzone one night that was the same and I really wouldn't serve it to a dog.(Sorry RCI it was really, really, really bad, pancakes too.) Room service was ok and the steak sandwich was good.

The buffet had an average selection and I could always find something but the food was just fair and nothing really stands out except one day there was tandoori chicken which I really enjoyed. There were all these strange sugar free drinks everywhere like we were on a diabetic cruise. When we got apple juice or lemon-aid it was terrible, and super sweet or very acidic.

In conclusion, we really liked the boat itself and the staff; however the food was a HUGE let down (we are big foodies) and I don't think we would rush back to RCI for this reasons. I would entertain the Oasis class because there are probably more choices.

Publication Date: 01/27/13