Carnival Legend Cruise Review by croozin1234

Cruise Date: December 2012
Embarkation: Tampa
Cabin Category: 8B

Carnival Legend....an 8 out of 10
This being my 5th cruise on Carnival with my family (wife plus a 13 and 10 year old) i have a pretty good idea of what to expect while onboard.

Overall, yes....we had a great time but there were a few things that could be improved.

First, the good things:

I think the ship was in good shape, our cabin was nice, the common areas and lounges were all clean and seemed to be in good condition. Out of my past Carnival cruises, the crew on the Legend were the most friendly and helpful. Our dinner waiter, Jeffrey was terrific, the room steward, bar tenders, staff in the buffet areas were always willing to help or assist. Kudos for this.

And now the bad things:

As others have mentioned, the food is hit or miss. I was moderately happy with my meal most nights. Was it great? No. Was the food hot? Sometimes. Seeing as i have been very happy with meals on the Dream, Imagination, Valor and Elation, i believe there is a problem with the kitchen management. On a few nights, my wife struggled to find something on the menu to order. We kept positive about it and didnt let it get in the way of a great trip, but they should work to resolve this problem. For me, the Chinese buffet at lunch was the best food on the ship.

The hot tubs were closed much of the time. And the day i found one open and without a lot of kids, the water temp was barely luke warm. The hot tub in the adult area worked fine, but only holds 6 people max. Seriously....get a bigger hot tub, it was always full....and fix the cold hot tubs. One other gripe was that on Dec 31, they boarded up one of the hot tubs early in the morning and put AstroTurf over it to get ready for the celebrations that night. It took the workers about two hours to do this. They were done by 11am. So for that entire day at sea, that hot tub was closed. That night we realized that the MC of the new years party would being using it as his platform, which is fine....but couldn't they have waited until that evening to close the hot tub? Annoying.

Entertainment/shows were minimal. I'm not much of a "show" person, but i do like them on a cruise ship and have really enjoyed many shows on other Carnival ships. I find it amazing that they can put on a quality show at sea and it gives all of us something to do as a family. On our other cruises, we remember at least 3 or 4 shows....however, on the Legend there was one musical show and then a magic show. The musical was called the "big easy" and the singing, dancing and energy was fantastic. But why only one show for the entire week? The magician however....well....watching him was better than strolling the decks for the 50th time, but it wasn't that great.

The comedy club was marginal. My wife and i went to the midnight "adults only" show and it lasted 30 minutes. 20 of those minutes were farting jokes. It was bad, mostly not funny and childish.

My son and i went to play mini golf on our last day at sea. We got to the course and half the course was closed for the day to do maintenance on the astroturf (they were replacing some sections of it.) Why do they need to do this on a "sea" day?? The day prior we were in the Caymans and from what i could tell, nearly everyone was off the ship. Um...that might have been a good time to do that work. Or at night when people are asleep. The decks are lit like daylight, so they could have done the work then.

We had a balcony room and it was fine, however the glass railing was dirty for 5 out of the 7 days of our cruise. The glass was so covered in salt spray from the ocean that it was hard to see through. On the 4th day, we got a note asking not to leave anything on the balcony as they would be cleaning the glass. That night when we returned, they had smeared the glass even more, so all the balconies had to be washed again the 5th day. I like to sit on the balcony and it was really hard to see through the glass for 5 out of 7 days. Not good.

Many of these things individually may seem minor, however when they cumulative, they start to impact the cruise. Will we cruise on Carnival again....sure. But on the Legend?... most likely not as there are other Carnival ships that seem to be better.

Publication Date: 01/27/13