Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by psudadx3

Norwegian Jewel
Norwegian Jewel
Member Name: psudadx3
Cruise Date: January 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Cabin Category: BB
See More About: Norwegian Jewel Cruise Reviews | Southern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

NCL Hits a New Low
NCL has ever been our favorite cruise line but this time they have hit a new low. This was our third cruise on NCL and each one has gone down hill. We have booked them for the convenience of cruising out of New York and the deals we have been able to find. While NCL has a loyal following, I put them at the very bottom of my list.

They do have some excellent entertainment but everything else is subpar at best. The food was some of the worst we've ever had on a cruise ship and the service (with a few exceptions) wasn't any better. We only had one meal that I would call good. They are obviously trying to force people into the specialty restaurants (which are overpriced). In 12 days I was only served coffee once or twice that was more then luke warm and forget trying to get a refill in the dining room. Where has the lemonade gone? You are SOL if you don't like iced tea.

Music in the dining room was good but WAY too loud and the low ceilings didn't help.

The cabin had some pluses and some minuses. The shower was a definite plus but that was offset by no leg room on the toilet (I usually went to a public restroom). The "couch" was so hard you couldn't sit on it for very long. Storage was adequate except in the bathroom, and the TV was AWFUL. I hate the hangers in the closets and was surprised of the lack of pen and pencil by the phone.

Embarkation wasn't too bad but it was ironic that it was slower for Latitudes members then first time cruisers due to the number of returnees versus first time cruisers.

Service at the reception desk was always friendly and helpful.

Room stewards were always friendly and helpful except that our steward kept complaining if we took a glass out of the cabin.

Disembarkation was a disaster hampered by long lines for immigration and the simultaneous arrival of two ship and damage to the terminal.

The itinerary was good and we enjoyed the respite from winter.

And I still do not like "any time" dining. Give me tradition dining at the same time with the same wait staff any day!

I also agree with another reviewer for the need to return to better food and service and the need to nickel and dime people with so many specialty restaurants even if it means increasing fares a little.

Publication Date: 01/27/13