Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review by irishgal432: After Christmas Get-Away

Compare Prices on Jewel of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

After Christmas Get-Away

Sail Date: January 2013
Embarkation: Tampa

This was our 3rd cruise this year and was a get-away for my husband and myself without kids. We drove from Atlanta and spent the night in Ocala, Fl to break up the drive,

Getting to port in Tampa was a difficult process using gps on the iphone. There are no signs along the interstate to direct you as there are at other ports. We used the valet service which I highly recommend. If you are worried about the cost, skip a drink or two to pay for it. It is a wonderful start and end to your vacation.

We were in a suite and literally walked right up to the check-in desk at 10:45. I did have to go back to get my WOW cards. They had a nice area with beverages and snacks in the waiting area. This was something that was not available when we went on Oasis. We boarded the ship about 11:15 or so. They direct you through the centrum stores and have the the other way blocked off. There were always friendly staff members asking to help and/or direct you. We were the More first in the Windjammer and the chef was personally there to greet us and show us what was available.

Of course do not miss the outside area of the Windjammer. It is so pleasant and quiet. Once again staff members were always present to get drinks and such.

Our rooms were ready at 1pm and our luggage was already inside waiting for us. I called for ice and was told that it would not be available until 4pm. If you are bringing champagne for sailaway, it will not be cold.

Muster was Muster and we had to wait for several people after some terse words from the captain.

We had a table for 2 by the window as it was our anniversay. Our wait staff was excellent! The table next to us had an opening and we joined them.

Diego was our concierge and I cannot say enough about him. Out of the past three cruises he is simply the best. He is so friendly and outgoing. He ordered our MDR for us to be delivered at a set time. This has never happened by any other concierge. The waitstaff in the Concierge could pour some strong drinks as well.

We had breakfast in Chops and it was wonderful. It was nice and quiet and quick.

We did the Cozumel Bar Hop and met some great people and saw some great beaches on the other side of the island.

We also did a bridge tour and galley tour. I was most impressed with the food preparation and overall running of the kitchen.

We also ate at the Seaview Cafe. It was also great.

I won a big jackpot at Bingo!

In summary, Jewel of the Seas is my favorite cruise I have taken. It is a smaller ship that allows you to meet many more people because you keep seeing them over and over. There were very few children, mostly adults of mixed ages.

I highly recommend this cruise. Less

Read more Jewel of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Jewel of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Jewel of the Seas Grand Suite Deck 10

The Grand Suites are under the pool deck. I did not hear any noise, but you cannot look up because of the deck overhangs. The room was clean, but some of the brass bathroom fixtures look as if they are getting worn. The door to the balcony was next to near impossible to open from the outside as there was no handle only a little finger pull.