Emerald Princess Cruise Review by Misswings02: 2012 Holiday Cruise

Compare Prices on Emerald Princess Southern Caribbean Cruises

2012 Holiday Cruise

Sail Date: December 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean

We selected the cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale to the Southern Caribbean from 12/17 - 12/27/12 because we had never been to Aruba, Bonaire, Grenada.
The ship was decorated nicely for the holidays. It has numerous pools, and we truly enjoyed the adult's only pools and hot tubs. We loved the thermal suite, utilized it almost every day.
Our room was a balcony room with a bathroom a bit small; however, very functional when Noro-Virsus hit (See below). The mattresses on the beds seemed old and worn out, a bit lumpy, and no top sheet I found it not as comfortable as on other cruises.
The staff we very friendly, prompt, and extremely helpful, service in main dining room was prompt and the food was excellent. The Horizon Court and Cafe Caribe offered a nice variety of very good dishes; however, we were on vacation and wanted sit down meals service with a wait staff. We selected the champagne balcony breakfast for Christmas Day; however, we had to reschedule (you will More understand why below). They were very accommodating with our re-schedule, unfortunately even with the re-schedule I had no appetite; however, my husband devoured a good percentage of food and said everything was awesome. Well worth the money spent for this extra service.
Despite careful attention to hand washing, using antiseptic gel, etc. the Noro-virus struck me like a Tsunami Christmas Eve night. I had never been so ill. I spent Christmas Eve night and Christmas day in the tiny bathroom going at both ends simultaneously luckily my husband never got sick. I decided to tell Noro-virus you DID NOT ruin our Holiday Cruise. I told my husband; hey, it was a very painful way to take off those extra Holiday pounds I gained the first part of the cruise (LOL). What else was I going to say, it happened and I hope I never get it again; however, I was not going to let a few days of major discomfort take my joy/peace.
In summary, we are still a bit young for Princess; however, we had the time of our lives. We take a cruise every Christmas to re-connect with each other and shut out the busy day-to-day life activates we come home like newlyweds every year and 2012 was no different. This was our first Princess cruise and we would consider them again. Less

Read more Emerald Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Emerald Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Emerald Princess Oceanview Double with Balcony Caribe

(5.5)
We fell in love with Bonaire, the people were extremely friendly and the island was beautiful. When we retire, my husband wants to live in Bonaire for the winters.
Read 238 Bonaire Reviews

Rainforest Tour

(5.5)
What can I say, first time for hubby to island; however, this was my fifth trip. I am never disappointed with the lush landscape in the mountains and the people are very friendly. Our tour guide was awesome and our driver drove with consideration that the hills / turns could cause motion sickness and handled the roads very professionally to ensure all were comfortable.

Snorkeling

(5.5)
What can I say, first time for hubby to island; however, this was my fifth trip. I am never disappointed.

Ti Tou Gorge

(5.5)
The current can be rough, need to have upper body strength; however, the guides will pull you into Gorge if you can't make it.

Trafalgar Falls

(5.5)
Due to the number of stops planned on our excursion, we only went to the lookout point for the falls.

It is somewhat difficult to rate this port. The port area/downtown is very congested (rate it a 2); however, once you get out of the city, it is a beautiful island (rate it 5). The people were extremely friendly and the hiking was awesome.
Read 356 Grenada Reviews

Due to rough seas, having to tender to island, and still kind of feeling the effect of the virus, we did not go ashore. We had the ship almost to ourselves that day

It's a bit commercialized for me...That's just my opinion because I'm more of the laid back island life girl. After living in the West Indies for 8+ years, to me this island is almost as busy as stateside living with the exception of the shopping GRETA DEALS! My hubby surprised me with a new diamond ring...
Read 2325 St. Thomas Reviews