Norwegian Star Cruise Review by meggie24

Member Name: meggie24
Cruise Date: December 2012
Embarkation: New Orleans
Cabin Category: BB
See More About: Norwegian Star Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

To the stars and beyond!
First I know this is coming REALLY late but the holiday's really kept me busy.This was our annual mother daughter trip. We have been on the Spirit prior to this and loved the beautiful ship. The Star did not disappoint! Although not as regal as the Spirit, the Star is a wonderful home away from home. The crew is amazing, but will get into that a little later. Also, should mention the day before we cruised we were offered an upgrade from a handicapped balcony to a family suite which we did and were blown away with the "suite life"!

We decided to drive in from Dallas/Ft. Worth the night before and stayed at Super 8 New orleans. You should definitely check them out if you are wanting to park. They have great room rates and allow you to keep your car in a secured parking area for the duration of the cruise. We went on a walking ghost/vampire tour with voodoo tours (don't quote me on the name) and was a nice way to see N.O.!

Embarkation: This was super easy! We arrived at around 9:30am and had to wait for the check in process due to us being so early! My mom is disabled and walks with a cane so we went to the handicap check in area and waited. We had a few friends from cruise critic that were boarding with us and were allowed to stay with us through the whole boarding process. Once we had our key cards they took our WHOLE group into the VIP room for the suite guests. Now this might not seem like much but to the others that were boarding with us it was just awesome to be treated so well even if they did not have a suite. We waited for about 15 min in the lounge and met Patrick our concierge (more on him later). Then we were literally one of the first people on the ship! Loved that they have a person to keep your bags for you while you are eating or browsing the ship if you have carry ons (look for them by the main door to the right).

Lunch: So the suite guests get to enjoy lots of perks, one of them is Cagney's for breakfast and lunch. I had the strip steak with white truffle fries.... AMAZING! The staff in Cagney's are great, once they met me once all of them knew my name and always asked how I was liking everything. After lunch we went to find our new cabin!

Our suite: Like I said earlier we were upgraded (at an additional cost) to a family suite. These rooms were just built the last couple of years and wooooow! This class of room does not have a balcony, you get a whole wall of glass tho! We were met at our room by Made and Benji. Made the butler was super sweet and so soft spoken. He always made sure I was comfortable and had what I wanted and needed. In the room you have a DVD player and can choose from about 70 titles. I had wanted to watch this one DVD but was already checked out.. I went to dinner and came back to see the movie waiting for me! Benji our room steward was just fantastic as well. He always made us the best towel animals and even a towel person! I just felt like they were part of my family not someone that had to wait on me. The room was great for us. My mom slept on the queen bed and I slept in my own room of curtains on the murphy bed. So even though we were in the same room we didn't really disturb each other because we had the curtains to block each other out. The bathroom was well equipped with double sinks, bath tub, and walk in shower.

First night: We like to try at least one specialty restaurant with NCL. Last year we did Le Bistro and this year it was Cagney's. I had the rib eye and it literally melted on the fork as it made its way to my watering mouth! BEST STEAK I HAVE EVER HAD and I am from TX! We made some new friends from cruise critic and had dinner with them and everyone at the table was super impressed with the food. Make sure to "like" NCL on FB we were able to snag a coupon for one free bottle of wine with the purchase of 2 cover charges.

Sea days: There is lots to do on the star. I spent most of my time in the not so hot hot tub. Also, you had to push a button to make the hot tub have bubbles kinda strange because you had to keep pressing it.

For the ports of call: Costa Maya- we went on a beach break to Nocho Kay. It is a private beach and is all inclusive. I had plenty of Tequila and food to keep me happy! Belize- I still love this country! We went to one of the ruins and it was great! Roatan- Took a discover scuba 2 tank dive.. I had issues with clearing my ears so was not as great as it was for my mom.. lol Cozumel- what happens in Cozumel stays.. Oh wait.. I just shopped and then head to the other side of the island to Coconuts where the food and beach was amazing.. and deserted!If you are going to do shopping in Cozumel, GET AWAY FROM THE PORT! If they are selling something in US dollars you are getting ripped off! If however you down a random street and see ALL of the locals shopping and things are listed in the peso then shop away!

Suite perks: I am coming back to this because most of our nights and days were impacted with the amazing perks NCL gives you. I will first say that I have only traveled in an inside cabin until this trip and with 2 different cruise lines. I will never sail with carnival again unless it is free lol.. NCL on the other hand gives you SOOOO much for your fare, lots of people say that the food isn't great or the service is bad. NCL is one of the cheapest cruise lines so please do not expect food that you would normally pay $100 a plate for... you will be disappointed. But if you are like me and love to try new dishes and feel like you are being pampered by the staff then NCL is the line for you. The food is good.. in most cases REALLY good! Ok off that rant.. The perks, well you have priority EVERYTHING, breakfast in cagney's, butler, concierge and many others. The staff are what make this ship so amazing.

Honestly, there is so much to write that I can not go on lol.. Just book it already! lol jk This was the best trip to date and we hope to have many more on NCL.

Publication Date: 01/25/13