Carnival Sensation Cruise Review by MissKathy107

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Sensation Cruise Review by MissKathy107
Carnival Sensation
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: 8A
Cabin Number: U190

Carnival Sensation Not So Sensational
A little background information: I'm a 29 y.o. female from New York. I took this cruise with my best friend, 28 y.o. female. I've been on a handful of cruises leaving from New York, Florida and Puerto Rico. This was my second Carnival cruise; I usually opt for NCL.

We arrived at Port Canaveral around 2pm which was pretty late, parked the car and walked with our luggage to the main entrance where the porters quickly greeted us and grabbed our luggage. Going through security was a breeze. Checking in and receiving our sign and sail card/room key card took no more than 5 minutes.

A+

Room

We stayed in U190. The room was a bit smaller than NCL balcony rooms. They were very clean, well ventilated, but the decor was outdated. The beds were two twin sized beds that we pushed together to make a Queen. Above each bed were the bunk beds that were folded away but still made us feel a bit claustrophobic. We had new white bed sheets and fluffy pillows. The bathroom was the typical small bathroom with a nice jetted shower, no tub. It included a shampoo and shower gel dispenser. Near the sink were free travel sized toiletries: 2 toothpastes (Crest 3D and Arm and Hammer Advanced White), soap and lotion. Blow dryer and ice bucket came in less than 5 minutes when requested. There was no mini fridge (I've been spoiled by NCL).

B-

Restaurants

The Seaview Grill was the main buffet. It included many different selections: pizza, sushi, fruits, salad, etc. Every time I tried to grab a quick snack, they were closed. They also had water, coffee, tea and lemonade.

On the Lido deck, they had BBQ. Typical burgers, hot dogs, nachos. On one night, they had a Mexican party serving tacos and the works. Not too shabby.

There were two MDR's: Fantasy and Ecstasy. We were given "my time dining" at Fantasy. My first impression of the Fantasy dining room was that it was outdated and very gloomy, similar to those Vegas buffets for $7. Every night, we were seated in less than 10 minutes. The waitstaff did a dance for us every night. I appreciated their effort, but I just didn't enjoy it one bit. Maybe a nice band playing in the background would have been a little bit classier and made the restaurant look a bit more appealing, but I guess since we were on a Carnival cruise, it's the "fun ship". Woohoo.

On a good note, the cuisine was remarkable. They had a daily menu and also a specialty menu. The daily menu had the usual: steak, chicken, salmon, etc. Mushroom soup, crab cakes, lobster and prime rib were memorable from the specialty menu. Their dessert menu was always the same every night: warm chocolate melting cake (to die for), tiramisu, fruit platters, ice cream, etc.

Tips: Request Francis, the waiter. He's amazing. And don't miss out of formal night. The prime rib and lobster were cooked perfectly!

D- for decor and A+ for food.

I didn't see any of the shows, but I did walk by lots of karaoke rooms and they were filled up. It seemed like everyone was having a blast with karaoke.

I also stopped by their club, which was pretty much empty every night. The DJ was horrible. All he played was hard core down south rap, stuff you can't dance to. And he kept playing the Dougie. Not everyone wants to do the Dougie. No wonder it was empty.

C-

Onboard activities

I played Mini-golf, bean bag toss and ping pong. It was fun and killed time. :)

Jacuzzi's were out of order!!! Major disappointment

Salt water pool was nice, although during the third day on board, they had to empty it out. Something happened to the pipeline. The water turned completely brown, but it was fixed within an hour and replenished with new water from the sea.

They also added the new Serenity lounge which is reserved for adults only, but the Jacuzzi there wasn't working either...a total bummer especially since I came from cold NY weather.

B- due to not being able to use any of the Jacuzzi's

Ports of Call

Freeport was nice, but nothing too special.

Nassau as always was pleasant. We took the $1 jitney to the Fish Fry and had an amazing seafood lunch: conch salad, conch fritters, steamed and fried snapper, etc. We also stopped by Atlantis for the aquarium and casino. I won $50 and just spent it on some delicious $15 Greygoose dirty martinis at their Greygoose bar. Bartenders were very friendly and we had a nice long chat with them. It was nice to hear about their lifestyle and culture.

B+

Duty Free Shops

Stop by. They have pretty good deals. You can even get some rum cake for the same price without going to Nassau. Liquor was very cheap. Jewelry was reasonably priced. I got 10% off a Michael Kors watch and it was tax free. I surfed the web to check the price just to make sure I didn't get ripped off. It was a good buy. :)

Debarkation

A breeze!!! We put our luggage out the night before around 9:30pm. They quickly grabbed it. The hallways were always cleared out. Good job.

Customs were courteous and quick... maybe because I was in Florida. I'm so used to the rude New Yorkers.

A+

Overall

This ship is pretty old, built in the 90s. I can't complain too much and I shouldn't compare it to other ships that I have gone on that were built in the 2000s. But I have to say, it wasn't bad. It was pretty fun. Staff were extra friendly, food was amazing and the weather on board was great. I'd do it again if the price was right.

B-

Hopes this help. If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me.

Publication Date: 01/26/13