Carnival Breeze Cruise Review by bakerylady

Carnival Breeze
Member Name: bakerylady
Cruise Date: January 2013
Cabin Category: 8E

Lots of noticeable cutbacks.....still had a good time....
Just came off the Carnival Breeze sailing Jan. 13-19th. I did read some reviews on CC and was a little apprehensive about our trip, but it would still be a cruise vacation...and what could be better than sailing the Caribbean? We were a group of 10 in our party, the most I have cruised with before.

Embarkation was a "breeze"...no problems at all! The ship itself is beautiful. Love the new decor...very soft colors and easy on the eyes. We had a table for 10 in the Blush dining room...which I might add was lovely! When we got to dinner the first night, the table was set for 12!!! I had told the head waiter that we wanted this table to ourselves and 2 more "unknown" people would make it very cramped. My husband immediately went over to the Matre' D (Ken) and he came over and took 2 chairs away plus the table settings...he was very nice about it. Might I add, that throughout the cruise, you will hear Ken sing with his awesome voice!! That was the best entertainment all week, but I'll get to that soon. The food in the main dining room was edible...it was not hot, and not too many choices all week. You can definitely see a cutback here. We ate in the Fahrenheit 555 Steakhouse one night and that meal was superb!!! The best steak I ever had, unbelievable service and sweet...sweet desserts!!Do not miss this place if you want great food! Guys burger joint was also good....great burgers and toppings. The Italian rest. was OK, not worth the money...we went for lunch for free, but not for dinner for a fee. The pizza on the ship was very good and so was the Sushi place...says my hubbie....I do not like sushi. The Lido Market was always very crowded, especially for breakfast. The first morning we waited for 1/2 hour for an omelet....NEVER again....the rest of the days we went to the Sapphire dining room for breakfast....always hot and much, much better!

Our balcony cabin was fine....we always take a balcony. Cabin steward was excellent...always kept our cabin neat & clean and fresh ice in the bucket! They still give some "freebies" in the bathroom....shampoo & conditioner...breathe rite strips...a razor...and toothpaste...Thanks!

We only visited 2 ports this trip...Grand Turk & Montego Bay. We did beach excursions on both and really had a good time....never long enough, though.

The ship is very, very big. Approx. 4500 guests and 1400 crew members...which I might add are always cleaning and shining everything up. What I didn't appreciate is that there was NO pool up on the Serenity Deck for Adults only! What was the designer of the Breeze thinking when they planned this ship???? How can you have such a large ship & only "2" pools to accommodate all these people!! Serenity was just that....very peaceful and enjoyable. Pools were hectic but as always....refreshing.

The entertainment (or lack thereof) was terrible. No more Caribbean band on the pool deck....just a DJ playing the same music all week. The shows were laughable...I'm sure they work hard, but I felt like I was watching a high school musical or "Glee"...and they repeated the shows all week....only 8 people in the whole show...NO elaborate costume changes....NO props or scenery....just pre-recorded music and a bunch of laser lights with a large movie screen. Very noticeable cutbacks here...and sad to say, we were very unhappy.

Disembarkation went very smoothly. Waited for a short period of time and then off the ship. Luggage is now on a conveyer carriage...just like the airports...so you don't have to rummage through all that luggage they used to put on the floor....that was one good improvement!

Look, we love cruising....and won't stop....but we are giving Carnival a "time-out". We want to see if the other cruise lines are cutting back on certain things too, so we will try another cruise line next time.

We still had a good time and enjoyed our vacation. It's what you make of it that counts.....happy cruising to all!!

Publication Date: 01/26/13