Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by jenniedthatsme

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by jenniedthatsme
Freedom of the Seas
Freedom of the Seas
Member Name: jenniedthatsme
Cruise Date: January 2013
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Cabin Category: JS

Vacation Nightmare
When my husband and I decided we wanted to book a family cruise we decided to give RCL a shot. We had previously cruised with Carnival and felt their service had gone down and surely anything would better. We were wrong! We booked back to back cruises on the 1/6/13 & 1/13/13 sailings....it was so bad we got off the ship at the end of the first cruise and went home.We booked 3 staterooms for 7 people.

We arrived at the ship at 11am boarding the ship was great took about 15 minutes. We were told our rooms would be ready at 1pm. At 1:30 our rooms still were not ready but we were let in them anyways. The room attendant was half way cleaning the room and disappeared...never to be seen again. Upon inspection of our stateroom we noticed broken light fixtures,the chairs on the balcony were ripped so you couldn't sit in them, and the handle to the balcony door was broken and just swung on one bolt. We addressed all of these issues with the manager.We did not get our luggage until 10pm the first night of the cruise,...we missed dinner because no one had clothes to change into. Nothing like driving 15 hrs and not being able to shower. One stateroom had 3 people assigned to it....there was one bed. Even after 5 attempts to get this fixed ...it never happened. SO my 16 yr old daughter got her own room. My other children got crammed into our room. The food sucked the entire cruise. There were no options for children and my younger kids survived on bacon and french fries. On the second day of the cruise we made it to the dinning room for dinner...for starters our waiters sucked the first night. The woman wiped her snot out of her nose with her hand and continued to serve our food. We complained to which we told it was handled. Day 3 we had no plumbing, we couldn't flush the toilets on our deck and had to resort to going to one of our other staterooms on the 2nd deck...which smelled of raw sewage the entire cruise.In one of our staterooms sewage backed up into the bathtub toilet and sick. OMG it was gross...and the smell. Ordering room service was something to be desired...if you like waiting 2hrs to get a soda you might think its great. Mini bar was never refilled....but we sure were charged for it! Even though we paid for them through room service. We initially got the beverage package...what a waste. Carbonated water with a hint of flavor...and 6 machines on the entire ship..doesn't work out well. We ordered breakfast to our room each morning due to the windjammer being....well jammed. On 2 occasions our menu was never picked up from our door when it was placed there @ 9pm each night. A manager told me the employee claimed he picked it up but that he knew he was lying to him. 3rd day of the cruise my mom contracted the norovirus and confined to her cabin for the remainder of the cruise. There were alot of sick people on the ship. Including a man who had to be air lifted in Labadee.Day 4 plumbing went out again ...this time for the entire ship. Due to the handle being broken in my stateroom I was stuck on my balcony. Thank goodness my hubby was in the room. He heard me banging on the door. Finally maintenance decided to come and fix the handle. The redneck fixed it with a screw in the side to keep it from moving. They also thought this was a good time to come and fix the broken light fixtures we made not of on the first day....at 10PM! We were walked in on by the housekeeping staff on more than one occasion...they NEVER KNOCK! Even when the do not disturb sign was on the door. Day 5 was my daughters 16th birthday, we had booked a party for her...never happened.This was also the day that my mother was so sick I made her go to the infirmary. She was diagnosed with the norovirus. WHile waiting with her there was a member of the waiting staff being treated for the same thing...the gave him pepto and sent him right back to work. We were informed that our lack of service was because alot of the crew were sick...yeah well we know where all the people are getting sick.The crew! The majority of the staff were very rude , Nikki in the dinning room was AWESOME! She did everything she could to make our trip pleasant...to bad it didn't work. On the last night of the cruise we got the enjoyment of having smoke and the smell of burning oil and metal blowing into our rooms....one of the motors burned out. There was a Huge black puff of smoke and then it went out completely. And if it couldn't get worse our room attendant cleaned our room for the 2nd time...and put on dirty sheets. There was urine spots...still damp...and blood splattered across the sheet.I was livid I took the sheet down to the customer service desk and waiting in line for an hr. I took pictures right there at the desk so I can show everyone how disgusting this ship is. I was never so happy in my life to get off of a ship.

Publication Date: 01/25/13