Silver Shadow Cruise Review by chrisassaf: Trip of a Lifetime!

chrisassaf
Member Since 2009

Entertainment Not Rated

Compare Prices on Silver Shadow Australia & New Zealand Cruises

Trip of a Lifetime!

Sail Date: January 2013
Destination: Australia & New Zealand
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)

We had cruised only once before on RSS as my husband prefers Do it Yourself travel. However, we LOVED everything about SilverSea.

Just a few examples of the service:

1) The staff remembers your name and greet you by name constantly. Not just a few...the majority of the staff really works at this!
2) Our butler shined my husband's shoes and wrapped them in tissue paper....EVERY night! We didn't ask for this...he just did it!
3) We hit high seas one night...the doorbell rang and they delivered ginger ale, candied ginger and soda crackers. We didn't ask for this, they just did it!
4) We celebrated our 25th anniversary while onboard and I think the whole ship knew it! Everywhere we went, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! They decorated our room while we were out that day and gave us a wonderful chocolate mousse cake after dinner.

Really, I would never cruise with another line after this experience.

The food is delicious...alot of options every meal More and the service is impeccable. We loved La Terraza and the Restaurant. We did not try Hot Rocks and were not thrilled with Le Champagne. I thought it was extremely slow and pretentious....I would not spend $60 for that again.

The complimentary wine was really fine. They served my favorite Chardonnay (Caymus Conundrum) complimentary so I was happy. My husband found an Estancia 2007 Pinot he liked. If we didn't like the offer of the evening, we just ordered that. We did upgrade on 3 nights and the pricing for 2007 Cakebread Cab and a 2005 Cardinale was comparable to a retail store...less expensive then a restaurant.

Silver Sea did an excellent job in ports. Shuttle buses ran every half hour on time. We only had to tender once...again, every half hour on time. We didn't book excursions with them but I heard great reviews.

I used the gym almost every morning. It was very well equipped and usually empty. I liked that!

The average age is 60-75. We had 40% American, 40% Australian and 20% European. It was a friendly, cosmopolitan crowd. These people were succesful without being pretentious. We met some very interesting couples. There were maybe 2-3 children on board. I'm not sure why. It really wasn't a trip for kids.

Our suite was a midship veranda...well laid out and immaculate. It was very similar to our suite on the Regent Mariner except it had a bathtub. I liked the bath. The ship overall was well appointed. It wasn't as grand as the Mariner because the public areas were smaller but it was clean and fresh.

The only thing I didn't like about the smaller ship was you really felt the movement. The Tasman Sea had 22 foot swells with a 70mph wind. It was a rough 2 days. I didn't get sick as we had patches but it kept you from enjoying the ship on the sea days...Working out was not an option and the upper deck lounges were rocking and rolling too much to enjoy them.

I did LOVE the non touristy feeling of a smaller ship. No gathering in the theatre for tours...No following the Mary Poppins sign tour leader! We embarked in 10 minutes and disembarked in 15...all easy and convenient.

Bottom line, I doubt I would ever cruise on another line. This experience was just too perfect! Less

Read more Silver Shadow cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Silver Shadow Review >>

Cabin review: Silver Shadow 639

Well laid out cabin. Lots of room in the closet and loved tub and seperate shower in the bath. Sound control was excellent. We never heard anything from adjacent spaces,

City Tour

(3)
Booked the city tour with transport to the airport. Saw the major sites, nice park and the museum. It was a great way to spend our last day.

We took the shuttle into Dunedin and spent the morning. Two great cathedrals and the Cadbury World. We spent the afternoon walking Port Chalmers. Some great views at the top of the hills outside of town.
Read 80 Dunedin Reviews

We took the tram from the ship to downtown and walked around the CBD. Botanical Gardens, Train Station, St Pauls Cathedral...Exposition Park and along the riverwalk. This city is not as pretty as Sydney but it's still fun to walk around and see the sites.

(5.5)
We wandered around this art deco town and then went on a wine tour with Sophie Kessel of Long Island Guides. She was amazing. This is a beautiful area and Hawkes Bay makes some very nice wine. Sophie is low key, the vineyards love her and she makes the day very enjoyable. She took us to the top of Mt. Temetato for amazing views and a wonderful lunch she provided.
Read 23 Napier Reviews

Sydney is a gorgeous city. Very easy to navigate. We went three days early and stayed at the Marriott Circular Quay on Points. Great location near the water front and 5 minutes from the ship. We did the Opera House, Botanical Gardens, The Rocks, Hyde Park and shopping areas. Just a really fun city to walk around in.

Tauranga was pretty boring...run of the mill tourist town. We spent the morning there. After lunch, we climbed the mountain right by where the ship docked. Amazing views overlooking a beautiful beach on the other side...sheep everywhere. Don't bother with going to town in this port. Stay at the resort by where the ship docks.

Very much like San Francisco. Shopped along the CBD then took the cable car to the top of the hill. Walked down through the Botanical Gardens. Really pretty! We didn't get to the museum as it started raining but still a nice day.