Disney Dream Cruise Review by eysmom12

Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: 5A
        Under 3 5.0

Ship Facts: Disney Dream Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Disney Dream Deck Plans
Navigating Food Allergies was a Dream on the Dream!
I am writing this review specifically in response to the review that said small children with food allergies will be left to go hungry. We took our 14-month old daughter on a 4-night cruise on the Disney Dream in September, 2012, and (with one exception) we could not have asked for a better experience. I realize everyone's trip/experience may be different, so I'm not discounting what sounds like a horrible cruise for them, but I want to reassure other parents that this is not necessarily the case for everyone.

Our daughter is allergic to eggs and dairy so, as you can imagine, her diet is fairly limited. We alerted the ship to her dietary restrictions at the time of booking (which was only about 3 weeks before the sail date), and for the most part, we had no problems. At every sit-down meal, the waiter would offer a meal that would fit her restrictions, even bringing her special bread/rolls that she could eat and, which I found most amazing, they even gave her dessert! I expected fruit or the like, but there were baked goods, chocolate, even whipped "cream".

The buffet experience was a little different. Our waiter did alert the buffet staff about our daughter's needs and they would make specialized meals for her, but one day we did have a slight problem with a waiter who was more interested in socializing with a neighboring table than with bringing our daughter her breakfast. We addressed that problem with the head waiter, who couldn't have been more apologetic. Plus, there was cereal, fruit, and the food I always pack just in case we run into a problem, so although we were annoyed, my daughter was never in danger of going hungry--not then or any time on the cruise--and even this incident was more about one poor server. Overall, I found the staff wonderfully accommodating and helpful. They even made her TWO special lunches at Castaway Cay so she'd have her choice of options!

In terms of other aspects of the cruise, the ship was beautiful, the staff was friendly, and there was TONS to do with out little one--the characters, yes, but also things like "Jack Jack's Diaper Dash" for crawling babies (which, sadly, we didn't win--but we'll try again with #2)! We didn't do much in Nassau, but we DID take our daughter to get her passport stamped--it's free and a cool souvenir, if you want something unique.

Bottom line--I've sailed as a couple and with a family, and I highly recommend Disney in general and the Dream in particular.

Publication Date: 01/24/13