Carnival Ecstasy Cruise Review by GrannyJ

Cruise Date: January 2013
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: 4E
See More About: Carnival Ecstasy Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals

Carnival Ecstasy
THE GOOD: Getting on and off was painless. We checked our bags going on and then carried them ourselves leaving as we had to get the rest of our party to the airport on time. The ship and our cabin were very clean. Service was excellent and we had a wonderful cabin steward. Food was very good, both at the buffet and the dining room and we really liked the freedom of "Your-time Dining". I was surprised how good the food was at the buffet, even though it was very loud and crowded at times and hard to get a table immediately. Everywhere we went, the crew was cleaning, polishing, sweeping and in general, making the ship a delight to sail on. I can say that every crew member I met was friendly and extremely helpful. The ship was very stable, even when we had some rough seas. The ship was a good size to get around easily.

THE MEDIOCRE: Entertainment(the two production numbers: "Motor City" and "The Brits") was disappointing. I'd compare it to a high-school production, except I'd probably be insulting the high school performers. The "Hasbro, the Game Show" was lame. The two comedians were OK.....better than nothing. The band that played near the coffee bar was "ok", but too loud for the small area (all the hard surfaces echoed the music and it was actually painful to walk by). There were a couple of singers who were "ok", too. I'd had much better entertainment on other ships, including other Carnival ships. The DJ/recorded music at the pool was way too loud and intrusive. Thank goodness for the Serenity area (adult-only deck area and two hot tubs) at the back of the boat. Went to the casino one night but didn't stay long as it was way too smokey. They need better ventilation in there if they want my money. Parking was, in my opinion, too expensive - $90 for 5 days.

THE BAD: If there was any "bad", I sure don't remember it. The only bad part was having to get off the ship.

THE TECHNICALLY "BAD" BUT ACTUALLY "GOOD": One of our party had a medical emergency and was well taken care of by the medical staff. Attention was prompt and appropriate. The cost of his care (three separate visits including a lengthy stay on IV fluids) was way below what one trip to the emergency room would have cost. Everyone was very kind and caring.

Altogether an excellent trip for a very reasonable price.

Publication Date: 01/24/13