Carnival Ecstasy Cruise Review by GrannyJ: Carnival Ecstasy

Carnival Ecstasy

Sail Date: January 2013
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

THE GOOD: Getting on and off was painless. We checked our bags going on and then carried them ourselves leaving as we had to get the rest of our party to the airport on time. The ship and our cabin were very clean. Service was excellent and we had a wonderful cabin steward. Food was very good, both at the buffet and the dining room and we really liked the freedom of "Your-time Dining". I was surprised how good the food was at the buffet, even though it was very loud and crowded at times and hard to get a table immediately. Everywhere we went, the crew was cleaning, polishing, sweeping and in general, making the ship a delight to sail on. I can say that every crew member I met was friendly and extremely helpful. The ship was very stable, even when we had some rough seas. The ship was a good size to get around easily.

THE MEDIOCRE: Entertainment(the two production numbers: "Motor City" and "The Brits") was disappointing. I'd compare it to a high-school production, except More I'd probably be insulting the high school performers. The "Hasbro, the Game Show" was lame. The two comedians were OK.....better than nothing. The band that played near the coffee bar was "ok", but too loud for the small area (all the hard surfaces echoed the music and it was actually painful to walk by). There were a couple of singers who were "ok", too. I'd had much better entertainment on other ships, including other Carnival ships. The DJ/recorded music at the pool was way too loud and intrusive. Thank goodness for the Serenity area (adult-only deck area and two hot tubs) at the back of the boat. Went to the casino one night but didn't stay long as it was way too smokey. They need better ventilation in there if they want my money. Parking was, in my opinion, too expensive - $90 for 5 days.

THE BAD: If there was any "bad", I sure don't remember it. The only bad part was having to get off the ship.

THE TECHNICALLY "BAD" BUT ACTUALLY "GOOD": One of our party had a medical emergency and was well taken care of by the medical staff. Attention was prompt and appropriate. The cost of his care (three separate visits including a lengthy stay on IV fluids) was way below what one trip to the emergency room would have cost. Everyone was very kind and caring.

Altogether an excellent trip for a very reasonable price. Less

Read more Carnival Ecstasy cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Ecstasy Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Ecstasy Interior Empress

Cabin was adequate in space and clean. Good amount of closet space. Would have liked a couple more drawers. Bathroom was good, well-lighted. Could have used a little more space to put toiletries. Shower was an adequate size. The reading lights on the beds needed to be brighter - hard to read in bed. We apparently were under one of the dining rooms, so there was loud rumbling occasionally and a couple of "crashes" but nothing intrusive. Walls seemed to be thick enough to keep most of the noise from other cabins to a minimum. Door seemed thick enough to keep most hall noise to a minimum. Instead of the curtain on the wall, I would have liked an ocean scene or some other art. The curtain actually made the room a little more claustrophobic than artwork would have. I kept having an urge to pull the curtain and "look out". Liked the safe. Adequate number of hangers, but would like a couple of skirt/pant hangers also. TV worked well and I was impressed with the number of channels available. Carpet seemed to be clean and the bedding was immaculate. Bed comfortable, good pillows, liked the duvet. Blanket was a little worn. Desk surface was adequate, but once again, the light over the desk wasn't bright enough. Overall, a very pleasant trip.

Didn't go into Freeport. Just got off the ship and walked around the shopping village at the port for an hour. Not impressed. Stores selling mostly "junk".
Read 775 Freeport Reviews

LOVE Key West. Something for everyone. Historical sights, great bars, lots of attractions, good stores. Unfortunately, the weather was bad and nothing was going on at Mallory Square, which we were looking forward to. But still love Key West, even in its worst weather.
Read 734 Key West Reviews

Have been to Nassau before and don't like it. Too loud, shopping is poor, excursions too expensive for what you get. Someone is constantly trying to sell you something.
Read 2624 Nassau Reviews