Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by Diane

Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
Member Name: Diane
Cruise Date: February 2005
Cabin Category: D4
See More About: Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Cunard Cruise Deals
Spa & Fitness 5+
Value-for-Money Not Rated

LuxuryOnly.com

Queen Mary 2 (QM2) - Eastern Caribbean
The Queen is overrated. There has been so much hype that I was expecting much more. And the several days of bad weather didn't help.

I was traveling with a singles group so many things were taken care of by our escort. We got to the ship early and didn't have any problem with embarkation. Disembarkation was hectic. Fortunately, we had our own bus.

Although the food in the Britannia dining room was good, the service was terrible. Waiters were running around like "chickens with their heads cut off" and completely disorganized. One night they forgot to serve my salad. They didn't give me with utensils to eat my dessert another night. I asked for another roll but never got it. Another night they poured one glass of wine for me but never checked to see if I wanted more poured and I had to do it myself. Hopefully things will improve when Princess management is fully integrated with Cunard.

I ate in the Italian restaurant in Kings Court one evening. The food was delicious and service excellent.

Although I booked a balcony, I didn't realize it was in the hull of the ship. Thus, to look out you had to stand up. It wasn't worth the extra money. The cabin, however, was furnished nicely and comfortable and was similar to some of the newer Carnival ships.

The cabin stewardess was wonderful and did everything she could to make me feel "at home". She deserved the extra tip I gave her. However, I found many of the staff to be snobbish, especially to those who did not book the Princess or Queen accommodations.

The QM2 is beautiful but it is too big. You have to take different stairways/elevators to get to different areas (and frequently take the wrong one). Although there is another way to get to the disco, the easiest and direct way is to go through the Britannia restaurant and Queen's ballroom.

I was disappointed that San Juan was dropped from the itinerary. St. Kitts was substituted and didn't offer much. Having been to St. Thomas and St. Maarten numerous times, I didn't take any of the shore excursions.

Entertainment was fair. It certainly couldn't compare to the elaborate shows on Carnival ships.

There was a lack of chairs by the pool on deck 6. I didn't use the spa facilities but did use the gym. The equipment was tops and comparable to the best gyms in New York City (where I live).

On a scale of one to ten, I'd rate the Queen as seven.

Publication Date: 06/28/05