Rhapsody of the Seas 0

Cruise review of Royal Caribbean Rhapsody of the Seas

greysal96
Member Since 2013

Overall Member Rating

I had been looking forward to my cruise on Rhapsody of the Seas in January 2013. I had previously been on 3 P & O cruises and had wanted to try Rhapsody after hearing from a few people who had been on it.

This is the first time I've reviewed anything on travel and didn't expect I would be doing so. However, I was very disappointed with Royal Caribbean from the start, even attempting to board. The photographers were very pushy when taking the boarding photos and despite me saying no to them I was told that I needed to have the boarding photo taken to validate my cruise card! Disgusting tactics to try and sell a photo!

We went to the Windjammer for lunch after boarding and all I can say is that it was a shambles. I wanted a nice salad but the food was scattered throughout the serving area and the salad components I would have expected were either not available or disappointing. Queuing for the various serveries seemed to be non-existent. I also found that from my More limited experience of the Windjammer on the cruise the tables were not cleared or cleaned too often.

Our cabin was tired looking and there was no evidence of refurbishment apart from the bathroom. I don't know where the iPod was that was supposed to be included in the refurb - we certainly didn't have one. The twin beds I requested were made up as a double (which was also the experience of my sister who was travelling in a separate cabin). There was no fridge and so I spent money onboard to buy an insulated cup to keep fresh water in - an unnecessary expense! The in-room safe was the smallest I have ever encountered.

Every time we walked out of our cabin there was a smell of sewerage and towards the end of the cruise this smell appeared to have spread through the public areas of the ship. There was also a constant metallic clanging sound heard in our cabin throughout the seven days.

Casey, the Cruise Director, was not worth whatever his salary was and my teenage daughter found him offensive.

The safety drill took some time to organise and one side of the ship was left standing on deck in the summer sun waiting for it to be completed.

On the positive side the ship has lounge areas within the Centrum where you can relax and enjoy watching the ocean - something that is limited on P & O. However it was not possible to order a nice coffee from a waiter if sitting in the lounge areas as we were told we had to go up to Level 6 and buy from Latte-tudes (which was served in a takeaway cup).

I went away for relaxation and I definitely felt refreshed when I returned but just generally disappointed with Royal Caribbean. Would I cruise with them again? Only if there was no other option for timing or itinerary. Less

Rhapsody of the Seas Cruises to the South Pacific

Rates
Value for Money

Cabin review: Large Ocean View Stateroom

G
On Deck 3 and noisy at night due to the Centrum being overhead with nightly entertainment starting at 10.30. Shower very small.

Published 01/23/13

Read Cruise Critic's Rhapsody of the Seas Review

Rhapsody of the Seas Cruises to the South Pacific

Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?