Seabourn Odyssey Cruise Review by Ana Mari

Cruise Date: December 2012
Embarkation: other
Destination: Australia & New Zealand
Cabin Category: V4
See More About: Seabourn Odyssey Cruise Reviews | Australia & New Zealand Cruise Reviews | Seabourn Cruise Deals

LuxuryOnly.com

Ship Facts: Seabourn Odyssey Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Seabourn Odyssey Deck Plans
Disappointed
We have always loved small ships for their intimacy and homely feel. We were led to believe this was the ultimate in luxury and were disappointed.

First of all let me say, the suites, with super well appointed bathrooms, were first class and so were the suite cleaning standards.

There is no doubt all drinks were premium brands and no shortage of staff to offer cocktails or whatever you wished.

The mainly European and South African staff were the most hard working I have ever seen on any cruise ship. They were so rushed that the pool staff shirts were soaked, these staff members also double up as pool attendants. I have never seen such untidy outfits. It was no wonder that virtually all of them talked of nothing other than the countdown of days till they got off the ship, and apart from two,not one of them said they would be renewing their contacts.

I had heard beforehand the staff remember passengers names. Apart from one, this didn't happen and believe me I didn't expect it from such over worked staff. Because drinks are included it eliminates the need to present a card with your name on, so on other cruises we were always greeted by name.

Whilst the food in the restaurants was of a good standard. The poolside restaurant at lunchtime was VERY poor. It consisted of the same 4 boring salads, miserable pizza, burgers, hot dogs and when advertised as Asian, there were 2 extra dishes. Bear in mind this restaurant closes at 4pm and the restaurants don't open till 7pm. So if you have been ashore or you want to eat between those hours you have to use room service! This takes us back to the 90's. there is no excuse that they couldn't do like P & O Ocean Princess's and leave open a little sandwich/pizza/salad bar.

We were amazed for such a small ship that we needed to tender into almost every port. Some long journeys, up to half an hour into ports. The tenders were so hot, humid and not particularly clean.

I believe that at one time Seabourn had a good name and unbeatable service, but really there are other lovely small cruise ships out there for a lot less money and far better food and service.

Sorry but I would not pay the extra money to go back with Seabourn again.

Publication Date: 01/22/13