Carnival Glory Cruise Review by Sweet_Misery: Glory, The Second Time Around

Member Since 2005

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Western Caribbean Cruises

Glory, The Second Time Around

Sail Date: January 2013

This was my second sailing on the Carnival Glory. I had previously sailed in 2009, with same itinerary, with the exception of Belize. We flew in to Miami airport, via Atlanta the day before. We stayed the night at the Ramada Miami Airport North, which is actually in Hialeah. It was good location, because the Westland Mall was right across the freeway from it. There was also a Wal-Mart and Target nearby.

Embarkation: We took a cab from the rental car center to the port, which costs $25, including toll fee for the freeway. We got on the boat, after waiting an hour in the VIP lounge, checking in and waiting for our sail and sign cards to be delivered from another area. All these other people were coming in and leaving with their keys, rather quickly. I don't know what the hold up was. One guy who had been there for ten minutes, was about to scream at the people. I was like, "Dude..."

Room: We were in cabin 8343, with a balcony. When we got to our cabin, our More luggage was there, waiting for us. We booked our excursions through the TV. The balcony is worth the price of admission. It was pretty quiet room, didn't hear neighbors or the upstairs shuffles much. The zipper on the blanket on the couch bed, kept scratching my arm during the night, so I finally had to pull the sheet up and tuck it over it. The mirror is missing piece in the bathroom. The toilet button had to be pushed three or four times before it would flush. The curtains had holes in it, letting the sunshine in.

The safety briefing: was at 4 PM. For the handicapped people, such as my mom, we had to sit in the Golden Dining Room during the briefing. They let us out while the briefing is still going on, so we can use the elevators.

Lido Deck Buffet: I tried a bit of every station. I would recommend the pepperoni pizza, the cobblers from the Comfort Kitchen, the fried Mac and Cheese from the Comfort Kitchen, the fish and chips, and the chicken tacos from the Blue Iguana.

Dining Room: We were at table 376, in the Platinum Dining Room, which is a table for 4. I definitely recommend the fruit plates, the chilled fruit soups, chocolate/raspberry/vanilla cake, the Bitter and Blanc, and the fried shrimp. Our waiters in the dining room, Leroy, Ellen, and Senet were great and we had quick service throughout the week. The food I got, which was supposed to be cold was cold, and the food I got that was supposed to be warm was warm. The waiters sang to "That's Amore," danced to "Gangnam Style" twice, and sang "Leavin' on a Fun Ship." We ate lunch in the Golden Dining room, because we had a free drink voucher, with our VIP status. I would recommend the vacation sundae (chocolate and vanilla ice cream, raspberry sauce, and macaroons). We went to the punchliner brunch in the Platinum Dining Room. On our way there, as I walking into the elevator, the door tried to close and smacked my right arm and my knuckles on my left hand. For lunch, I had the Parpadalle Pasta and Churros with chocolate dipping sauce. The waiter at the service station next to me dropped some glasses and splashed me with ice and cold water. I also got chocolate sauce all over my shirt and had to go change. Jerry Goodspeed, the ventriloquist, performed again for about 5 minutes.

Movies/ Games: They didn't show hardly any new movies in the room. They showed a lot of old movies and concerts on Costa Maya day and on the seaside theater. I went and got some popcorn on the lido deck. It was pretty stale and needed some butter. Dad played Turbo Trivia, where they have 2 choices as an answer to the question, and the people who choose the wrong answer are eliminated after every question. We watched 60 Seconds or Less, which is Carnival's version of Minute to Win It. It involves balancing pencils, stacking cups, building plate and cup towers, etc. We watched Family Feud. We watched "The Game of Love," we had missed, on TV. We went and saw Hasbro: The Game Show twice. They played Sorry Sliders, Simon Flashers, Yahtzee Bowling, and Operation: Sam Dunk. A young Asian child picked the Battleship card for his prize and when the cruise director asked him why he picked that card, he said, "To fight the Japanese." Josh was speechless and kept laughing. We attend the Ultimate Mind Game Challenge trivia and I got 8 out of 20. We helped team 5 during the Scavenger Hunt. It was really funny. I gave them a trivia sheet and Dad gave them his shirt and his belt. The ship needs more morning and late afternoon activities for people who aren't night owls.

Cruise Director/Entertainment Staff: Most of the entertainment staff were funny. We went to the Fun Ashore Fun Aboard talk with Josh and the Shopping Talk with Jay. We went to the Q & A with the cruise director, Josh. Mom asked him what the crew does for fun aboard and Dad asked him if all the captains are Italian.

Comedians: we saw the family friendly comedy show of Eddie Clark. He was alright, a lot of asking the audience questions. One couple, named Fernando and Fernanda, arrived late to the show. He acted like a waiter, putting a napkin on his wrist and ushering them to the front of the lounge, where he gave them a free drink each. We saw the family friendly comedy show of Butch Bradley. He reminded me of Conan O'Brien. We watched both the family friendly comedy shows of Al Romero, a Cuban-American, and Jerry Goodspeed, a ventriloquist. I thought Romero's show was a bit raunchy and I'm not the biggest fan of Ventriloquists. We had three ships in a row with a ventriloquist, and I am sick of them.

Playlist Productions: The Playlist Production show, "Motor City," in the Amber Palace, featured the songs of Motown. The performers taught us a dance to do, during the song, "Rockin' Robin." "Latin Nights" featured the music of Jennifer Lopez, Enrique Iglesias, Pitbull, etc. "Divas" featured the music of Britney, Beyonce, Lady Gaga, Madonna, Rihanna, and Katy Perry. One night they did encores of Motor City and Latin Nights, so we went to see the comedians instead.

Cozumel: This was my fourth time, being here. We were docked with the Carnival Triumph, Liberty of the Seas, and Mariner of the Seas. We walked around the port shops, collecting the freebies from Mom's coupons in her Fun Finds book, which costs $25. Mostly free items, such as pendants, earrings, refrigerator magnets, and a drawstring bag. We got the new Disney t-shirts at the Del Sol. We walked downtown, which is about 2 miles. We went to the new Punta Lagosta Mall, where the Carnival Legend and Jewel of the Seas were docked. All of the vendors kept yelling out to Mom, they had "free parking" for her wheelchair in their shops. We took a taxi back to port, which costs $7.

Costa Maya: We were supposed to dock in Costa Maya, Mexico, but the weather was so bad, they couldn't dock because of high winds and waves going over the dock. We each got refunded $11.33 for the country taxes and Dad got refunded for his shore excursion. It was a surprise day at Sea!

Shops: We walked around the shops twice. Mom got some postcards (5 for $2) and necklaces ($10). After she opened one of the necklaces, she noticed the chain was broken and had to return it to the gift shop. We went to the shops on the last sea day and got 2 for $20 t-shirts, one for Grand Cayman and one for Cozumel. While I was in the shop, I tripped over the wheels of one of the displays and almost fell forward towards the wall of $10 necklaces.

Mahogany Bay, Roatan: This was my second time being here. Last time we were there, we went on the Gumbalimba Park and Jolly Roger Catamaran tour. We were here from 7 AM to 3 PM. We went on the "Best of the Island Tour," which had a late start because the tour guide was late, due to the fact his brother sprained his wrist. We drove east on the island to The View, which included arts and craft vendors. We drove to Punta Gorda, where some kids were holding a big snake on a hook, they planned to cook and eat. There was a museum there, where the locals danced for us. We drove to the West Bay and went through the shops and stood on the beach. Throughout the tour, we saw many free roaming dogs sleeping by the street. The tour guide said, the locals are supposed to let them roam free after they grow to full size, which is very sad. After the tour, we walked through the port shops. Dad bought a wooden bench, carved with homes and trees, and mom bought a Mahogany wooden carved bowl.

Ship Mishaps: Most of the time it was sunny, with a high of 86 degrees. It wasn't until we got to Costa Maya, we had high winds. The captain made an announcement in Roatan about high winds and having to shut off the outer decks. After our nap, Dad came back to our room and asked if we had felt the ship list again (tipping to a certain angle) like it had done on the Liberty cruise last year. We said no, wondering why there wasn't an announcement from the Cruise Director about it, like Butch had done on the Liberty. When we got back to the 8Th floor after tendering in from Grand Cayman, the hall and our room smelled like Gasoline. We opened our balcony door and let it air out for a few moments. We found out later, the aft pool had had a pipe burst and it flooded some of the cabins on deck 8. The people we talked to, said, "Our room is now the pool." Mom was sitting in her wheelchair under the fog machine on the balcony in the Amber Palace during show time. Little pieces of plastic or wax kept landing on her arms and burning her skin. She moved back a row and after the show, she went to Guest Services and complained, so nobody else would get burned.

Grand Cayman: After breakfast, we went the shopping talk for Grand Cayman and got our tender stickers. If you attend the shopping talk, you are placed on an earlier tender and you get a free charm for your Diamonds International charm bracelet. We tendered into Grand Cayman in the Cayman Islands. We were out shopping from 10:30 AM to 12:30 PM. Mom used her coupons from the Fun Finds book and got some bamboo socks (2 pairs for $20), free bracelet charms, free refrigerator magnets, and a tanzanite necklace. Dad went on the "Coral Gables and Stingray Sandbar Tour" at 1:00 PM, where he got to snorkel and swim with the stingrays.

Debarkation: We got off the boat after eating breakfast, a half hour after having our zone number called. We were in port with Carnival Valor and Carnival Breeze. We took the Alamo shuttle to get our rental car. Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Glory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Glory Balcony Verandah 8343

We were in cabin 8343, with a balcony. When we got to our cabin, our luggage was there, waiting for us. We booked our excursions through the TV. The balcony is worth the price of admission. It was pretty quiet room, didn't hear neighbors or the upstairs shuffles much. The zipper on the blanket on the couch bed, kept scratching my arm during the night, so I finally had to pull the sheet up and tuck it over it. The mirror is missing piece in the bathroom. The toilet button had to be pushed three or four times before it would flush. The curtains had holes in it, letting the sunshine in.

Read 3142 Cozumel Reviews

We docked in Mahogany Bay on the island of Roatan, which is part of Honduras. This was my second time being here. Last time we were there, we went on the Gumbalimba Park and Jolly Roger Catamaran tour. We were here from 7 AM to 3 PM. We went on the "Best of the Island Tour," which had a late start because the tour guide was late, due to the fact his brother sprained his wrist. We drove east on the island to The View, which included arts and craft vendors. We drove to Punta Gorda, where some kids were holding a big snake on a hook, they planned to cook and eat. There was a museum there, where the locals danced for us. We drove to the West Bay and went through the shops and stood on the beach. Throughout the tour, we saw many free roaming dogs sleeping by the street. The tour guide said, the locals are supposed to let them roam free after they grow to full size, which is very sad. After the tour, we walked through the port shops. Dad bought a wooden bench, carved with homes and trees, and mom bought a Mahogany wooden carved bowl.
Read 1661 Roatan Reviews