Celebrity Constellation 5

“A wonderful ship, not such great stops”
Cruise review of Celebrity Constellation

jmedelman
Member Since 2013
40 Forum Posts

Overall Member Rating

Embarkation and disembarkation were a breeze. We got on the ship at around 11 AM and wore our bathing suits so we could sit by the pool which we waited for our rooms to be made ready (we had done this before). We did not do early disembarkation but rather got a full night's sleep (since our flight was at 9 PM out of FLL instead of MIA) and left around 8:30 AM. I even had time to go to the main dining room for a seated breakfast!

Our room was fantastic. We had great ocean views and some beautiful views while docking in both port (more on those later). My favorite place to watch us dock from was in Reflection (the 11th deck forward observation bar). The bed was a little saggy on the left side and the comforter was not very thick but we asked our stateroom attendant (who was fantastic) for another comforter and everything was perfect after that.

Our favorite thing about Celebrity is the food. We find dinning a breeze, professional, and delicious. This cruise was More no different. The first night we were placed in a two person table (as we had requested) but by the busy entrance halfway. We had booked the cruise only 1 month before so we were not surprised. At the second night, we asked to be moved to a more remote table and were happily re-seated in a section of the restaurant that was almost completely empty for the entire cruise. Our waiter and assistant waiter were very quick and attentive (I asked for an iced tea on the first second night and one was waiting for me each night there after). We at the Italian Grill specialty restaurant and it was the highlight of our cruise! Food was UNBELIEVABLE, service was impeccable, and the ambiance was wonderful.

Now for the stops: Let me start off by saying I love the ocean and I love the water, I just do not love the beach. We sat by the pool every day and I spent lots of time on our balcony just relaxing and reading.

The first stop was Roatan and it is a very poor country (second poorest in South America behind Haiti one person told us). Since we knew very little of the country and none of the shore excursions piqued our interest, we decided to rent a car and drive the island for the day. We had rented a scooter on our Bermuda Honeymoon cruise and wanted to recapture some of that excitement. Within a few hours a few things were apparent - the island was very small, the roads were terrible, and we wanted to back to the boat. We spent a few hours on Roatan in total and the rest of the time on the boat enjoying the sun.

The second stop was Cozumel. I had remembered this stop from my childhood cruises with my family and knew immediately to get through the touristy International Cruise Terminal as quickly as possible. Once we exited, we walked towards downtown and made our way to a beach were we relaxed for a bit but soon headed back to the cruise ship to have lunch and relax by the pool, again :) We did stop by Senior Frogs which was a tourist trap and outrageously expensive. I should also say it was uncomfortably humid that day.

As for the Constellation, it is a nice sized ship. It did not feel crowded and we never had to wait for food in any dining room. We do not really drink (maybe we each had 1-2 drinks the entire cruise), but we did discover the martini bar on the last night and I will say I would have spent much more money there if I had known about it earlier - I love martinis and these were delicious. There were not many children and the common areas were well staffed. We were always able to find a chair at the pool (just have to ask if anyone is sitting in some chairs as a used towel is not always cleaned up right away.

All in all, the cruise was exactly the lazy vacation we needed to relax, eat, and sleep. The stops were boring and touristy, but that is the Caribbean for you. We have already booked our next Celebrity cruise and we are going to cruise Europe for 12 days on the Equinox. Less

Celebrity Constellation Cruises to the Western Caribbean

Overall Ratings

Sail Date: January 2013
Family & Children
Rates
Value for Money

Cabin review: Deluxe Ocean View with Balcony 2A

Very touristy and not relaxing. Also was very humid. The beach was fine, nothing too fantastic and not secluded or quiet.
Read 4536 Cozumel Reviews

Rented a car for $65 for the day. It was a beat up Toyota compact sedan. Drove the island for only a few hours before getting bored and uncomfortable in the car from how terrible the roads were. Headed back to the boat before lunch.
Read 2191 Roatan Reviews

Published 01/21/13

Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Constellation Review

Celebrity Constellation Cruises to the Western Caribbean

Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?