Carnival Legend Cruise Review by spunke: Great week aboard the Carnival Legend

Compare Prices on Carnival Legend Western Caribbean Cruises

Great week aboard the Carnival Legend

Sail Date: January 2013
Embarkation: Tampa

We just returned from a great week aboard the Legend and I wanted to share some of our impressions.

First, we are a couple in our early 40's and love to cruise. This was our 14 cruise, the last two years we rang in the New Year aboard Celebrity's Summit and before that we were on the Carnival Freedom, in 2010. This was our second Carnival cruise but we have sailed all the major lines. In the end our favorite line has to be Celebrity for the service and food but Carnival provides a quality vacation experience. Prior to sailing I had read so many bad reviews that I considered canceling the trip and booking on the Glory, but I am glad I didn't.

First the Ship:
The Ship is in excellent condition and I did not notice any issues with my stateroom of or the rest of the public areas. The whole ship was clean and very comfortable. I have no problem with the decor, every ship I have been on had some over the top theme and the Legend theme works. More

Staff:
Everywhere we went we were smiled at and greeted by the staff. The exception might have been the officers, but I could care less. They just need to do their jobs so we can be safe and have a good time. Our rom steward was great although unseen most of the time. The reception area was great as well as the bartenders.

Gym:
The gym on the Legend was well equipped but might be a bit on the smaller side. There are plenty of cardio machines but the free weight area could be a bit larger.

MDR:
We had YTD and sat with Paul in section 335 most of the time. He was great ALL the time. He took such great care of us I tipped him extra! Barbra ( hostess) was also very helpful and always willing to take care of us at breakfast and dinner.

Food:
I have read so many bad reviews about the Legends food that I have nowhere to start. I thought he food was always good and maybe great a few times. It was however, always fresh and hot. For breakfast we ate in the MDR for half the trip, it was good and the service was solid. We did head up to the buffet towards the end of the trip. I typically hate buffets but the eggs were great and the fruit was awesome.
For lunch if we were not on an island we ate at the buffet. Salad and Oriental were both great and fresh.

Dinner: we ate in the MDR 6 nights and the steakhouse once. The steakhouse was awesome and worth the trip and fee. The MDR was good each night and I think that a lot of this might be due to Paul and his service. The food was always hot and cooked to order. Twice I ordered Flank steak and Salmon together, Medium rare and it was delivered as ordered. The soups were great, however, the pasta's left us a little disappointed. The last night they had mahi --mahi- and it was way over cooked! Paul took one look and brought out something else. Generally I consider cruise food to be, just ok. I like trying different things but I do not consider it to be fine dinning in any regard. I do think that many of the review were way to hard on the Legend and thought the food to be up to par with RCCL and NCL. I do think however, Celebrity does a slightly better job.

Room:
We had an aft facing balcony (7300) and it was awesome. This was our first aft balcony but wont be the last. I loved sitting watching the wake of the ship and it was very convenient to serenity and dinner. The veranda was slight deeper because of the shape of the ship.

Entertainment:
We are not much for the singers and dancers, but don't miss the illusionist. The show was very entertaining and impressive to be on a cruise ship. The Comedians were ok, but not great. We enjoyed Juan in the main lobby; he has great song selection but can get off key at times.

Ports:
Coz- Went to Alberto's beach and had a great day. Snorkeling was a bust but the lunch and relaxation was a plus.

Belize was canceled and replaced with Costa Maya. We were looking forward to seeing Costa Maya but it was cancelled as well due to strong winds.

Honduras:
Mahogany bay is beautiful, but very crowded with two ships. I wish we had booked the Maya Key excursion, the regular beach was too busy.

Grand Cayman:
Walk over to Paradise beech to snorkel and have lunch. Lunch was great but the snorkeling was a bust.

Areas that might be improved:
I would really like to see Carnival make a few small changes. First, lower the lights in the MDR. It is way to bright and it feels too casual. Also, add a wine steward/ sommelier. The waiters had very little knowledge of the wine and couldn't make any recommendations.
Allow passengers to order full breakfast in their cabins. We were unable to order eggs or anything hot to the rooms. Provide a level of cabins that this is allowed.

In the end:
I really enjoyed our trip and would have zero reservations to sail on the Legend again. I think Carnival understands it's cliental and knows that there is a value that their shoppers are looking for. It is not top of the line but it is not offered at that price point. I spent $700 less then sailing on the Summit and I didn't have to fly to SJU. Earlier I mentioned that we love the Celebrity line; but I still chose to pay less and travel on Carnival.

Carnival provides a solid vacation experience at an affordable price. The rest is up to you!
Please go and have a great time, life is way to short on happy times with loved ones!

Feel free to ask question- Less

Read more Carnival Legend cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Legend Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Legend Balcony Verandah 7300

Great place- store owners can be a bit over the top
Read 3137 Cozumel Reviews

Clean, safe and expensive

Crowded but clean and safe
Read 1660 Roatan Reviews