Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by Honeysquared: 10 Days of Sun on the Sun

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sun Southern Caribbean Cruises

10 Days of Sun on the Sun

Sail Date: January 2013
Destination: Southern Caribbean

This was our 2nd NCL cruise, the first being the Dawn to Bermuda in Sept 2011. We booked this cruise as our honeymoon, mostly for the ports and length. After reading a bunch of what seemed like negative stuff about the Sun, I was a little leery. They couldn't be further from the truth. The Sun is a wonderful ship, doesn't show its age (like a lot of people think) and offers everything we needed. However, I think I found the people that write those crazy things. I overheard one man complain to his wife how it absolutely ridiculous you couldn't pull up your charges on your TV. Really? That's what you worry about on a cruise? I also overheard a woman tell someone else from another ship that "nothing is together onboard. It's all spread out" ????????????? First off, the Sun is almost the smallest ship in the fleet, so nothing is ever really that far. Secondly, what is the expectation? Everything to be on Deck 6? Other than that, I didn't hear too many other negative More things.

Embarkation - we arrived around 10:30, flew right through security and check in and then waited until 11:45 for our group to be called. Flew right in, and was on board by 12. Rooms were ready by 1:15. The crew on the Sun is awesome, simply put. Everyone smiling and saying hello, making sure that you are taken care of.

Food - ranged from good to excellent. Our expectation is that not every meal is going to be out of this world. We did the buffet for breakfast 5 days and Seven Seas the other 5. Both were equally as good. We only did Four Seasons for dinner because I wanted to wear shorts and flip flops at night. Service was excellent. We did sushi one night - excellent and cheap ($17 filled us up.) We did Tepanyaki one night - best $ we spent. Food was phenomenal and the show was great. Then we did Il Addagio twice. Best value on the ship. $15pp and the food was amazing.

Casino - usually smoky. As a former smoker, I finally realized how gross it is. But, its a casino, and I expected it. Had fun playing 3 card, kind of disappointed there was no Caribbean Stud.

Shows - were mostly good. Terrance the hypnotist was funny. Comedian, I didn't find funny at all. The two musicals were well done with some good music.

Other thoughts - The observation lounge is a beautiful spot. Plus 2 for 1 everyday from 4-6. Buckets of beer were NOT included in this (I thought they were).
Pools seemed larger than the Dawn. Usual issue of people throwing towels on seats by 7:30am.
Las Ramblas - disappointed in the scope of the Tapas. NCL could hit a home run with this type of place. We fully expected to go there every night for some apps before dinner, but only went once.
Every ship should have a Great Outdoors.
Every day in port, they would roll out a carpet, place some chairs and a couch on it, under a tent and serve water, juice and cookies. Thought that was a very nice touch to come back to. No other ship we ran into did this.
Captain and staff were visible and great, except for the 3 man crew that couldn't figure out how to drive the rescue boat. The captain had spotted a life raft off the coast of the Dominican Republic. When the crew went into the water, they seemed frazzled and started going in circles, literally. The boat's steering did not work correctly. Needless to say, the life boat was empty, thankfully.
Music everywhere was very well done. A little of something for everyone.
Front desk was helpful in finding one of our suitcases. The new luggage tags you print out at home are not a good idea. It's computer paper. People do not handle luggage with a lot of respect. Turns out, it had come off, and someone replaced with a tag of 9033. We were in 8024. We had it by 10pm the first night, so no big deal.

Overall - we loved the ship, the crew and the islands (next review). I don't think there is anything we would have done differently, or wished we had. NCL continues to be our favorite cruise line.

For people wondering if you should book this cruise or this ship, well, it's up to you. It's extremely clean and well run. Do you need to see your charges on your TV? If you do, then this ship is not for you. If you can look past that, you won't regret your choice. Less

Read more Norwegian Sun cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sun Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Sun Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Fjord Deck 8024

8024 - nice size - small bathroom, but functional

Beach Break

(4)
Copacabana - was ok. Would go to Boatyard the next time.