Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by lorriedarlin: First & Last Cruise

Compare Prices on Carnival Triumph Western Caribbean Cruises

First & Last Cruise

Sail Date: January 2013
Embarkation: Galveston

My husband has been trying to get me to "ok" a cruise for as long as I can remember. Not that I never wanted to do it, but I just wasn't a fan of confining myself on a boat with no way to escape if I wasn't having a good time. Weird, I know. I just prefer to provide myself with options. Especially if it's over multiple days.
So, for his big 40th birthday, I thought why not? We booked our cruise about 6 months ago and had a few other couples (also first time cruisers) join us. We were all very excited to spend the time together celebrating a great occasion.
Our embarkation and first night were great! We had fun kind of getting to know the ship and partaking in the drinks, food, etc. We were all woken up at some point during our first night with lots of rocking back and forth. Nothing that made anyone sick, but for us first-timers, it was a strange sensation. Especially when I had been told repeatedly that "you won't feel a thing". I beg to differ.
On our More first day at sea, a few of us took advantage of the Lido & Panorama deck and soaked up the sun. It was fun. The music was great and the people watching was even better. The rest of our party took advantage of the casino.
Once elegant night was over, a few of us started getting a little bored. There is quite a bit to choose from on the ship, but to be honest, most of it's geared towards gambling, drinking or loud music. The casino on the boat was overpowering with cigarette smoke, which knocks you off your feet. The "live" music is so loud you can't sit anywhere near it because you'd go deaf & really - how much drinking can one do?
We went to the comedy club that night - which was pretty good. The comedians were funny and it was a definite highlight. Another highlight? Our photographer for the elegant pictures. He was hysterical and had us in stitches for sure.
Our next day is Cozumel was awesome. We all wished we had more than the 5 hours that we spent there. We went to Mr. Sanchos beach resort. The water was cold, but the sun, drinks & food were excellent. The shopping was great too. We also hit Three Amigos on our way back to the ship and took advantage of their oversized props for funny photo ops. Once back on the ship, we planted ourselves on the Lido deck to watch some playoff football. That was fun until the guy that drank too much & decided to hit his girlfriend/wife started a brawl right in the middle of the deck. Security was prompt in removing him and I don't recall seeing him again until we got off the ship in Galveston, where he was being detained.
Saturday night was boring. Again, gambling, drinking, loud music. You can only handle so much of it. Sunday - same thing. Gambling, drinking, loud music.
I was more than thrilled to get off the boat ASAP once we reached port in Galveston again.
Highlights: Our steward was great and always eager to help us. The dinner in the dining room was by far the best food on the ship. Everything seemed pretty clean. Embarking and desembarking was a breeze. The rooms were way more spacious than we expected. No funny smells.
Not so great: The shipped rocked around more than I would have liked. The food - both room service and buffet was terrible. The drinking water was awful. The iced tea was awful. 9 times out of 10 the crew didn't understand what you were saying, so communication was difficult. Everytime someone came over the loud speaker, you couldn't understand what was being said. The cigarette smell in the casino was disgusting. The dealers were RUDE and some were downright mean.
To sum it up, I'm glad I went so I know not to do it again. I'm sure it would've been more fun on a longer cruise with more stops since the stops seemed to be the best part of our cruise. All in all, it was a big huge let down. Which was a surprise. Before we went everyone told me how much fun we would have. Now that we've gone, even more people say how much they hated theirs too. So, I guess we're not alone. You truly must either love it or hate it. These are my 2 cents. I wish I could've read something like this before I went!
On a bright note, I can't wait to go to Cozumel again - on a PLANE! Less

Read more Carnival Triumph cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Triumph Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Triumph Oceanview Main 2287

Much bigger than expected. Our window view was GREAT! I often spent a lot of time in front of the window just looking out over the ocean. The bathrooms were small, but very functional. There was ample closet and drawer space. I have no complaints about the cabins at all. As I said, they exceeded our expectations. Yes, the decor was older, but who cares.

(5.5)
Loved Cozumel. We went to Mr. Sanchos. It was fabulous - no complaints. The food, people, water & drinks were fantastic.
Read 3099 Cozumel Reviews