Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by audreybella

Dining 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Great time on the Epic
First of all, the ship is gorgeous. It is huge and it was a full house with 4500 passengers aboard. We thought by sailing after the holidays, there would be less people but I guess we were wrong. Even though it was at full capacity it never felt overcrowded. Only complaint is that if you do not arrive about 30 mins before a show started, you wouldn't have the best picking at seats. In previous smaller cruises, we never had this issue. Being a big ship, I did feel that it lacked the personal touch that I am used to on previous cruises, for example, the cruise director, although I had the opportunity to meet him at a Cruise Critic meet and greet, never saw him and felt that he was nonexistent. His staff, however, was excellent! Nacho and Simon were our favorites!!!!

Room: We had a balcony room on the 11th deck and thought the room was spacious and beautiful. I don't know what the whole fuss is about the separate bathroom/faucet/shower; it was just fine for us. If you wanted a little more privacy, there is a curtain. There was plenty of storage space and the layout was great. Our balcony was large; we had 2 chairs and a small table and had 4 people on it that could freely walk just to have a comparison.

Food: Garden cafe was the best buffet I have ever experienced on a ship. It made me feel like I was in a Vegas hotel buffet. The variety was mind boggling; I didn't know where to look. I could have easily eaten breakfast, lunch and dinner in the Garden cafe but I also enjoy a nice sit down dinner. All of our dinners were usually in the Taste dining room because we often wore shorts, however we had 2 dinners in the Manhattan, both were stunning dining rooms and food was great! We loved O'Sheehans for some quick bites like their mozzarella sticks. We did not eat anywhere else so I cannot comment.

Entertainment: I really enjoy interacting with the cruise staff and director, unfortunately given the size of the ship and the amount of passengers, in my opinion, it was hard to set up interactive game shows like I am used to on other cruises. The epic seemed to focus of big shows like BMG, which were amazing to say the least, cirque dreams, Second City, and Nickelodeon. Don't get me wrong, there is TONS to do on the Epic, we even ran out of time to do everything.

Pool: We loved the pool area. Plenty of chairs, yes, and plenty of chair hoggers BUT on the last sea day, we witnessed with our own eyes, staff removing towels from chairs that were unoccupied for atleast over an hour. I was so happy to see that. It was quite entertaining when those hoggers returned to see their chairs were taken and complaining that they'd been gone for "20 minutes"! The slides were so much fun and the wait times weren't too bad. The big slide where you need a tube is the longest wait but the others have a very minimal wait time.

Side notes: Embarcation and debarcation for us were a breeze, I guess we got lucky since I've read some horror stories. We bought the ultimate beverage package while on board and loved it. We thought it was convenient and got to test out drinks we've never had before.

All in all, we had a blast and would go back on the Epic!

Publication Date: 01/21/13