Caribbean Princess Cruise Review by Rudy Gunther: Princess ship disappointing

Compare Prices on Caribbean Princess Southern Caribbean Cruises

Princess ship disappointing

Sail Date: January 2013
Destination: Southern Caribbean

This will be one cruise that will go down as certainly not the best. I suppose I should start with the positive. The staff was one of the most friendliest and helpful that we have ever had. The head waiter came around twice every nightmake sure we were satisfied with our meal. That is more than any maitre d has ever done. It was the only time I felt they deserved the extra tip. Our room steward was a very pretty hard working Filipino Ladydydy that was very efficient and very friendly. The bar waiters were not in your face as far as pushing drinks. The staff was one of the best.
Now for the negative. As soon as we arrived to the port I thought Princess should step it up as far as getting guests through the queue and on the ship. We arrived at 12:45 and had to line up outside the terminal like cattle. Last month on the Oasis we didn't have to line up at all. As soon as we got on the ship we went up to the Horizon Cafe. Forget about a seat there so we sat out beside the Terrace Bar. More I noticed patch paint jobs around the pool bar. Then we were at the International Cafe and I noticed a table that had a chunk of marble glued to it. Our room linens were fine but I noticed that the carpet was all lumpy and there was patched cracked shelf in the bathroom. The shower head was stationery so if you didn't quite fit to it you were out of luck.
The entertainment was nothing spectacular. Dancing numbers were more like the shake your booty stripper dancing. The singers were very good except for one female that sounded screechy. They also had a very good comedian named Sarge and a Jersey boys type singing group that were very good. On the positive side at least they had 3 performances a night so we always got to see the shows early. The other entertainment was the casino. I have never experienced a casino with such tight machines. I stopped going there after the first night because I could tell that these machines were not hitting at all. Other passengers were complaining too. It's too bad because I enjoy going to the casino and playing the machines but I don't enjoy it if the machine never gives you a break to win a bit. Also it was so smokey that you could smell the smoke waft up to the 8th floor through the stairwell.
Our stops were Princess Cays,(we had been there before so we didn't even get off the ship), Curacao (arrived 2 hours late because of gale force winds- all the excursions were cancelled) and Aruba. In Curacao and Aruba we hired a taxi to take us around the island for $20 each. Both drivers were very knowledgeable tour guides and we were quite satisfied with what they did for us.
The meals on the ship were so so. Not great and memorable but not terrible either. We had the late sitting in the Palm restaurant. One thing we noticed was that breakfast was served in one of the restaurants only until 9 am. Thus we never got to use the restaurant and had to eat in the very crowded buffet. Also the restaurants were not opened for lunch unless it was a sea day but they never advertised it. All in all I was glad we went on this cruise because we would like to do the British Isles cruise but it is with this ship so we will do it with another cruise line I should mention that we have sailed on the other sister ships, Emerald, Ruby and Crown. They are newer and not as worn out. My feeling is that if you are paying a Premium price you should expect a Premium ship. Princess has not reduced their prices to what you pay on Carnival so I would expect better. Time to refurbish. Maybe Princess should spend less on new builds and take care of the ships they have in service. Having said that we did put money down on our next cruise. We will just check out what the ship is like a bit better. Less

Read more Caribbean Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Caribbean Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Caribbean Princess Oceanview Double with Balcony Caribe B338

Our room was a balcony room on Baja (11) deck mid-ship. It was perfectly situated to use the stairs instead of the elevator. Only 3 flights up to the Pools and buffet. An easy 4 flights down to the 7th floor stores and casino and way to get to our restaurant. We had plenty of storage. I asked for more hangers and got them. The hairdryer was old and not very powerful. We had one night where the whistling in the door kept me up. I don't know if it was not closed right or if it was because there were very strong winds that night. The bed was comfortable but the carpet was lumpy. Also more shelving in the bathroom would have been nice. The deck has 2 chairs and a table. It would be nice if they would come up with a retractable foot/leg rest so you could lounge on the deck.

We hired a private taxi van to take us on a 2 hour tour of the island. It was great.
Read 686 Aruba Reviews

We had booked an excursion but received a letter in our room when we embarked that the excursion was cancelled. We arrived late in port because of bad seas so all the other excursions were cancelled as well. We took a taxi into town and walked around. Then we hired a taxi to drive us around for an hour. He was very informative and took us to some areas for scenic viewing and to the area where the nice hotels were. It was great.
Read 503 Curacao Reviews

Total waste of time unless you like laying around on a beach. We stayed on the ship.