Thomson Majesty Cruise Review by Kermit56

Member Name: Kermit56
Cruise Date: December 2012
Embarkation: other
Destination: Canary Islands
See More About: Thomson Majesty Cruise Reviews | Canary Islands Cruise Reviews | Thomson Cruises Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Thomson Majesty Review (by Cruise Critic!)
Thomson Majesty New Year in the Canaries
Originally booked on the destiny but transferred to the Majesty when the changed ships. Majesty was clean and the cabin, an outside plus on deck 4, was spacious and, considering we had three adults in it, quite a surprise. Mid-ships, quiet and comfortable with a working loo and air-con! The staffing on Thomson has changed quite a lot. Most of the staff we met, with the exception of those in the bar, were Eastern European and not really that cheerful or as accommodating. It does make a difference, and maybe cultural, but you go on holiday to relax. The food was pretty repetitive but to a good standard and the AI drinks not bad at all. We booked early so got it free - my wife can drink for England (probably Europe on a good day) and got through 105 double Malibu's in a week plus wine, Mojitos, and cleaning fluid - she read the bar tariff before the lifebelt instructions to make sure she could get what she wanted. I still reckon that her liver is a life force of its own. The AI list has shrunk from previous years and the only beer on draft is a lager, but its okay.

The day before we got on the ship I had my wallet stolen. No problems getting cash from my bank but no replacement cards. I had to deposit £200 at reception, which was okay, but on the last day I wanted to nip ashore with my son to buy some presents - alarm went off when I handed my card to security and I had to go back to reception to settle my bill (they owed me £100) before I could go ashore. One very unhappy little bunny, who did not appreciate the snigger's from others getting off. Could barely understand the receptionist but got the message that they could have stopped me at the exit and held me while they called the purser? That would have been a better way then? It could just be my shifty look I suppose but I felt that this whole incident was poor customer service especially as my account was in credit and another member of my party, sharing a cabin with me, was still aboard. I know some people will say this isn't their fault etc but you had to be there!

Must say that the fireworks in Maderia on New Years Eve were the best I have ever seen - worth the cost of the trip alone! Two formal nights - Captains Cocktail Party was attended by people in shorts and football shirts! Dress code does not, obviously, apply. Would I go with Thomson again? Yes, I probably would but they don't improve and after quite a few cruises with them, they are getting worse - price and the AI makes them look attractive.

Publication Date: 01/18/13