Carnival Sensation Cruise Review by mwsrccl: Nice Little Getaway

Nice Little Getaway

Sail Date: January 2013
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

This is my fifth cruise and second on Carnival. The others have been RCCL. This was my better half first cruise.

Airport Arrival- Found carnival rep and she guided us to Transport desk, they advised it would be 30 minutes till bus arrived. 30 minutes later bus arrives and departs only to go to other side of airport first and pick up more people. Seems like this process could be better especially since they have airport arrival times.

Embarkation: Port Canaveral has this down pat! We walked right up to security and check in with no problems. Less than 10 minutes for everything and we were on ship at 1:30p.m.

Ship and stateroom: Room not ready on arrival. Ship appeared clean and bright and we got a warm welcome. Lines for Mongolian Grill were really long, so headed inside to the buffet. I am not a picky eater, but I was disappointed in the quality of the food. I usually love the buffet, but this ship the only thing I half way enjoyed was breakfast. Got to room More and found a dirty razor and used bath sponge in shower..eewww.. I don't think bathroom had been touched. Front desk was called and promptly sent up a Manager who stated that the bathroom was missed, apologized briefly, and sent someone to re-clean it. All week we had cleanliness issues- sink left dirty, no ice, etc... I guess we just got a lazy stateroom attendant. No problem with ship at all, its an older ship but still fun and clean. Shows were good, especially the 80s show and the love and marriage game. Bingo prizes seemed small compared to other cruises.

Motion- Ship was very rocky the first night and better half started to get dizzy. Luckily I brought some motioneaze you put behind your ear and worked well for her.

Food- Your time dining! Food in dining room was very good to great! Service was okay but nothing spectacular. I think the Your Time Dining people don't get the consistent good service of the set dining times. No problem getting multiples of things though!! Waiter dancing was fun! Like I said earlier, I was unimpressed with Buffet food and avoided it for everything but breakfast. Pizza and deli was okay though!

Cruise Director- Wee Jimmy was great and very funny! One of the best I have ever seen on a cruise!

Fellow passengers- Most were there to have fun, but I saw a few people that put out light cigarettes on lido deck floor, push people out of their way, walk barefoot into the dining areas etc.. What is wrong with people...

Casino- Worst experience ever had in a casino. First off, I got this cruise deeply discounted based on my play on last Carnival Cruise and received free money as well for play. I brought a large play bank with me to play as I don't enjoy swimming etc.. I spent about half my budget, as it was not a fun place to be. No one spoke to me, no one said hi, or anything the entire three days. Even only playing half my budget I still racked up 2000 points. The second night I tried to flag down the manager and she gave me the one finger wait sign and went and spoke to another guest that was complaining of lack of free drinks and she got her a free drink and then disappeared never coming to see me. I checked that woman's point balance on screen and it was 700?? I never got a good luck or anything! The last Carnival Cruise I got numerous free drinks, a warm welcome every time I entered by name, constant wishes of good luck and when I hit something they were happy for me. This cruise didn't even get a smile from the cashier... I don't mind spending money and playing but I like to feel welcome and appreciated. I should note that the casino was never really busy, so there is no excuse for this. Less

Read more Carnival Sensation cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Sensation Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Sensation Balcony Empress E234

E234- this is a balcony room with a second bed that folds into wall above the main bed. Room was good size. Balcony was small and we heard a clang sound repeated when water was rough. AC was good. Located at back of ship.

Arrived at noon and stayed till 6am next day in Nassau. There were like 6 ships in port, so it was busy busy. Got off ship and walked around town for a while. No one harassed us or approached us for drugs. Went to straw market, but ladies were very rude and did not was to bargain much due to so many people, one lady screamed at me because I noticed a stitch was coming out of her purse she was selling. You can get the same items in stores in town cheaper as we later found out. Was going to go to Senor Frogs, but 1.5 hour wait, so went to Sharkeez and loved it. Great drinks- Dirty Monkey.. Great atmosphere and a great time, thanks to the carnival sensation dancers that showed up and provided free entertainment along with DJ and Karaoke. Had the chicken nachos which were good, but portion size was small. Then took a horse drawn carriage ride around city. $30 for about a 25 minute ride around town ( could have got it cheaper, but was all haggled out after horrible experience at straw market.). Our driver a young guy was very funny and made it worth every penny. Horse seemed very healthy and they rest then several days a week and everyday between 1-2p. Tip- There are people that will try to put necklaces on you they say are free and then they demand a donation. I gave a guy a dollar and he wanted $5 and proceeded to take the necklace back off us. I suggest just saying no and walking away.. Did not do the beach or Atlantis. Overall, I liked the port. Not my favorite, but not as bad as people say.
Read 2644 Nassau Reviews