Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by TacAlert: Carnival Splendor - January 6, 2013

TacAlert
Member Since 2009

Family & Children 3.3

Compare Prices on Carnival Splendor Mexican Riviera Cruises

Carnival Splendor - January 6, 2013

Sail Date: January 2013
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

This was our 3rd time on the Splendor since its arrival to Long Beach. Embarkation was interesting. The previous two trips, all check in was done inside the dome. Now, Carnival moved decks 7 and 8 check in outside. Not a problem really if it wasn't so cold. And, being on an upper deck with a balcony (aka: I spent more), why did someone interior 1st deck get to wait inside? Either way, I only waited a total of 30 minutes and after receiving my cards was on the ship in less than 10 minutes.

Cruise Director: Malcolm. Malcolm, thank you for not getting on the PA system all day like some CDs and trying to sell stuff. One update in the morning, afternoon, and evening is enough. Plus, you were great with your deck parties and you and your staff did not present yourself as being elite above all the other employees like I have witnessed with other CDs and staff.

Food: No comment. Just OK.

Rooms: We had 3 balcony rooms. It's a place to sleep. Room Steward More was awesome. She did not bother either. My kids were sick one day and she made sure everything was OK with us and if we needed anything for them. Great job.

Cabo San Lucas: Thank God this got shortened to one day. Getting on and off the tenders takes forever. Nothing like walking off the ship. Plus everything overpriced in Cabo. Had fun a Medano Beach. Bargained a waverunner for 2 hours for only $60.

Puerto Vallarta: 3 days due to repairs on the ship. 3 days at the beach, walking around. No taxis needed. Great weather.

Gold Pearl: "V" our head waiter and his staff were great. All had young kids at home and made time for our kids. I always like having employees that have kids also. They seem to take better care of you.

Entertainment: OK this trip. Comedians debarked in PV and new ones didn't perform the first night. Shows in the theater were ones I saw before on Splendor. Time for new ones.

Guest Service Desk: AWESOME job dealing the the few hundred guests who had to debark in PV due to extended stay because of repairs. These passengers had to bet back to L.A. by Sunday and couldn't wait tip Monday. Carnival picked up all expenses (air, hotel, food, etc). Don't believe any threads or blogs that say otherwise.

Camp Carnival: Good activities all week for my 3 younger kids. 14 year stayed away from "Circle C" due to boring activity schedule. It appeared most of the teens did also.

Overall trip was fun. No major complaints, but then again, what is there to complain about. I was on vacation. I didn't have to cook, clean, or do anything. How anyone finds stuff to complain about is beyond me. Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Splendor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Splendor Balcony Panorama

Overpriced port. No dock, have to use tenders.

Close to beach. 5 minute walk. Local stores. Not too many vendors as in Cabo. Outside vendors not to pushy on excursions.