Thomson Dream Cruise Review by anthemion

Cruise Date: December 2012
Embarkation: Barbados
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Cabin Category: IN
See More About: Thomson Dream Cruise Reviews | Southern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Thomson Cruises Cruise Deals
Member Rating   Not Rated
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Ship Facts: Thomson Dream Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Thomson Dream Deck Plans
Thomson Dream Caribbean Cruise
My husband and I decided to splash the cash and have a Christmas to remember but this was one I would happily forget.

Having previously sailed on the Thomson Destiny we were expecting the same high standards, however our experience on the Thomson Dream was so upsetting we are considering never cruising with Thomson again.

The food in general was the standard of school dinners. The self service restaurant was staff served for the first half of the holiday until people complained about the small portions (on one occasion I asked for more and felt like "Oliver").

There were 1700 guests on board split into 2 sittings for Christmas Day. We opted for 2nd sitting following the Captain's cocktail party. The Captain's cocktail party was a joke. We were taken to the main show lounge and given 1 glass of wine (no canapes ). After listening for what seemed an eternity to a violinist on stage we (850 guests) were shepherded to the dining room for dinner but it wasn't open. We queued on the stairs to get in for 40 minutes and the queue was escorted round and round the restaurant trying to find available seats. People were squashed in wherever there was a gap and after were eventually seated then came the big wait for food.

Getting a drink was difficult, getting food impossible. I was expecting a nice sparkling wine with my Christmas meal but it was the usual white, pink or red table wine but to be honest any drink would do. I ordered Waldorf salad and got 3 pieces of apple and half a walnut on lettuce. We saw our main course delivered to the service station but no-one brought it over. My (cold) turkey dinner consisted of turkey and stuffing -- ok, 1 rosette of mashed sweet potato, 3 frozen sprouts, 1 piece of carrot and 1 piece swede. Other people had Christmas crackers but we had none. We asked many times for crackers but were just given excuses. I eventually went to get my own.

We paid £200 each for 1 week's drink package and were so angry when we found out that we had to buy a bottle of drinking water for our room. I don't like rola cola but real cola had a supplement of .95p per can as did Sprite and Fanta. We were also miffed to find that once on board there were drink offers such as buy one get one free on cocktails and we could have saved a fortune by buying our drinks onboard. All in all we felt ripped off.

The entertainment team was adequate but certainly not the standard we had seen previously on the Destiny. A comedian was brought onboard for one of the evenings but his 30 year old jokes were offensive and not pc in today's society. I also felt deeply embarrassed by his attempts at crooning.

The holiday was a disaster even before we left Manchester.

Our booking documentation stated that we had to go to the Thomson cruise desk to have our bags sealed before checking in but when we arrived there was no cruise desk.

We were told to go to the normal check in desk and a Thomson rep was frantically running up and down the queue sealing baggage and distributing labels. The Thomson rep was holding up the checkin staff who were waiting with empty desks whilst she was messing around with bags.

It took us 70 minutes to get through checkin and because of this delay we were unable to take full advantage of the Servisair Lounge we had paid extra for.

All in all a very disappointing holiday.

Thank you Thomson for spoiling our Christmas.

Publication Date: 01/17/13