Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by keepcalmandcruiseon

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by keepcalmandcruiseon
Celebrity Eclipse
Celebrity Eclipse
Member Name: keepcalmandcruiseon
Cruise Date: December 2012
See More About: Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Entertainment 5+

My First Review!
Hey, Cruise Critic folks. This is my first review. So please, go gentle on me in the forums. I know I'm gonna hear about it.

I don't even know where to start...ok, embarkation. Looked like the entire US Polo team was there. So were lots of guys named "Abercrombie" and "Fitch". However, the process was really smooth.

Nice ship, Celebrity Eclipse. Really well put together. Except for our stateroom. The layout was just dreadful. Closet too small. The faucet extended the entire length of the sink. Makes things like washing your hands and face, or brushing your teeth or shaving more difficult than necessary.

Turn up the heat in the halls, please! At times the ship was way too cold.

Our stateroom attendants kept missing things. My wife and I had a little bet going to see how long it would take for them to notice there was piece of dental floss on the floor. We needed to keep reminding them to replace THE BASICS - like toilet paper and tissue paper.

We didn't partake in the speciality dining. Why should I pay to use a "speciality" restaurant? It's all the same food, made the same way. This is a dangerous trend (more and more "pay" services) and I refuse to go along with it. I was tired of being asked to try a speciality restaurant. I was happy with Moonlight Sonata. Food was outstanding. Except for some of the wait staff, who near the end of the cruise kept sucking up to us and sniffing around for tips. Why should I tip? It's already included.

I don't understand people who tip. On the elevator I saw a guy counting his bills. What for? And what about the people who pay for obviously overpriced liquor, then get an automatic 15% added AND feel they need to add an additional cash tip? News flash - I always get great service, no matter what, because I show and give respect. Yes, please and thank you go a long way. I think you're only fooling yourself.

And while I'm at it. Stop throwing cigarette butts from your balcony. And food. You people are pigs. One day it's bread, the other day it's pizza. Pretty soon there's be enough for a main course. Seriously, every second or third day there'd be something different or another cigarette butt. WTF?

Entertainment was awesome. That magician has got to go. He's obviously talented but has no stage presence. Tries too hard and is uncomfortable to watch. The orchestra, barber shop quartet were pretty good. Vladimir Zaitsev however, is in a league of his own. Why he's on a cruise ship is beyond me. He should be writing, recording, conducting or touring with the best orchestras in the world. His presence and performance was an unexpected treat. My wife and I even got to meet him. Actually, he's a regular, down-to-earth guy. Vladimir, wherever you are - thank you!

What's with the CD? At the Select party, she says she needed to leave early to go to an "environmental meeting". Thank you for reminding us we're trying to forget about work! Just say that I need to go to another engagement. We get it. Then she tells us all IN THE CELEBRITY THEATRE she partakes in tours and does all the stuff cruisers do. Even said there was a limited number of spaces (Atlantis tour) but she managed to get in anyway. Look, we all know staff and crew take tours. But don't tell us about it. Ask THE CRUISERS about the stuff we did. And what's with her bringing her "friend" along. Does this scream out "special treatment"? I can understand bringing family. But a "friend"? She's acting like its her cruise, not ours.

The activity staff was practically non-existant. For example, at a trivia game, one of the questions was to name the all activity staff. Most of the trivia geeks couldn't name more than half of them. But we could name the builder of the Eclipse. On this note, stop changing the rules of the game. When a trivia weirdo pipes up and says "Bonus points for the builder of the ship" the member of the activity staff (that's you Jess) shouldn't accept it. That's because trivia king is giving himself an UNFAIR ADVANTAGE over the others why might not know it. It's like me asking bonus points if I know something other cruisers don't. If you want a lanyard that bad, ok then.

Stop all the hard selling. No, I don't want a spa treatment/speciality restaurant/cocktail-of-the-day/diamonds ashore. As for diamonds, it's a joke. Everyone knows you can negotiate a better deal at home - whether its in Canada/USA or the UK. Also consider the aftercare, warranties, never mind trying to get something that valuable home. And these ports - I'm getting tired of walking through a wall of humanity, all preening and begging for our attention. Hey, if I'm interested I'll find you, ok buddy?

So that's all for now. See you in the forums!

Publication Date: 01/18/13