Carnival Valor Cruise Review by Amber88: Great Ship, Great Crew

Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Carnival Valor Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Great Ship, Great Crew

Sail Date: January 2013

Embarkation from Miami was very organized and fast. We arrived around 12:00 and were eating lunch by 1:00 at the Buffet.

We had an inside room on Deck 1 at the way back. I WOULD NOT recommend a cabin in the aft of the ship - get a mid-ship cabin. We were woken up every morning that we pulled into port by violent vibrations and loud noise due to the thrusters. This did not ruin our vacation, however, something to be aware of if you like to sleep in.

Crew members were great, always happy and greeted you with a smile and a hello. Our waiters in the MDR were awesome!!

The food was great. The buffet was buffet food, nothing fantastic. The pizza was really good, the burrito bar was really good, as well as the burger/hotdog station. The MDR never disappointed and it was the best meal of the day everyday. We never tried the steakhouse so I can't comment on that.

There were plenty of hottubs/pools, however I do have a couple complaints in that area. More There is an "adult only" section but that is not enforced at all, the pizzeria, burger station, and ice cream stations are by this area so there is always kids around, and they DO go in the pool and hangout in that area, they aren't just passing by to get food. If you want truly adult only time you have to go to the serenity area, however there is no pool there, only 2 hottubs. Another complaint is how early the hottubs close. By 11:00pm they are all closed and roped off, this was a disappointment.

I only went to 2 of the shows in the main theater. The 1st one i went to advertised as "Magic and more", it was a good show and entertaining, but it was more comedy than magic, i think he did 2 magic tricks in the 30 mins we sat there, however he was funny so that made up for it. The 2nd show we went to was advertised as "gravity defying comedy" which consisted of watching a guy juggle for an hour. There were times that he made things funny and we laughed, but I was expecting a comedian, not to watch someone juggle different objects for 45 minutes.

The Eagles lounge had comedians that did "Adult Only" shows. The first 2 nights of these were hilarious and we were all crying we were laughing so hard. Make sure you go AT LEAST 30-45 mins before the show starts to ensure you get a seat, a lot of people were left standing to watch. The last 2 nights of the adult only comedy were different comedians and they were not that good compared to the first 2 comedians earlier on in the cruise so that was too bad.

The piano bar was fun, but my husband wasn't into it so we didn't stay very long, however I thought it was a fun time. We spent a lot of time in the casino and the band in there was really good, i enjoyed listening to them.

Debarkation was very quick and smooth. However we carried our own luggage off as we had to catch an early flight out of FLL, but we were off the ship, through customs and in our taxi within 45 minutes.

Overall a great cruise, however make sure you pick a cabin mid-ship. I would sail on the Valor again. :) Less

Read more Carnival Valor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Valor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Valor Interior Riviera 1465

TOO Noisey!!! Cabin 1465 was noisey when pulling into port, if you're just sailing then it's fine, but if you get into port early plan on being up SUPER early due to noise and vibrations.

Dune Buggy

(5)
Was a great excursion, very professional and had a lot of fun!!

Fishing

(5)
My husband had a great time on this excursion, we only caught 3 barracudas though. I was sick the whole time so I did not enjoy it as much, but he had a great time.

Snorkeling

(3)
We booked Barefoot Sailing Cruises and they did not show up for us, so we ended up on a snorkeling trip through a hotel and it was ok.

We walked around town to do some shopping and also visited one of the forts.
Read 1358 San Juan Reviews