Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by ZACHATTACK13: EXPLORER CRUISE WITH FAMILY

EXPLORER CRUISE WITH FAMILY

Sail Date: January 2013
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Other

Usually my husband and I sail NCL but did sail on EOTS in April 2008 for my sister's wedding cruise. I must say, weather on this trip was MUCH better. Being dropped off around 10:15 am worked really well because we beat the traffice getting in. My husband dropped myself and my son off so we didn't need to park but getting there before the crowds was a benefit, no lines to drop off, no lines to check in. I know the rest of my family that arrived on a bus a bit later sat in A LOT of traffice just trying to get to luggage drop off. Boarding went smoothly right around noon.
Lunch was in the Windjammer only, they should also serve in one of the dining rooms also as NCL does to avoid too much craziness at the buffet. Tough finding tables once it got crowded.
We sailed with a lot of family members so our week was never boring. Our stateroom was a Balcony on deck 7, great location near the promenade. Elevators were crowded and slow much of the time, always when trying to get to the More dining room. Our stateroom was always clean but we really didn't see our room steward very much and only got 3 nights of towel animals! (:))
The food I must say could have had more of a selection. I remember liking NCL food better. The hashbrowns for breakfast in the dining room had no taste. Our waiter Amanda, and assistant waiter Camilla were wonderful! Amanda, hope you're having a wonderful time at home!
Never a problem finding a chair up on deck 12. I don't like to sit right ON the pool deck because it's always congested so deck 12 was very nice.
Entertainment was better than I remember 5 years ago. LOVED Home Free, one of the Headliner acts on board during our cruise.
Dinner time at 6 was fine although I do prefer NCL freestyle dining to set times.
LOVE the Royal Promenade with the bars, cafe and shops. I love this to people watch. I wish NCL had these on their ships.
Generally I am not a fussy cruiser so I thoroughly enjoyed myself. The ship is due for a refurbish but it didn't ruin my time or my son's, whatsoever. Less

Read more Explorer of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Explorer of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Explorer of the Seas Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom Deck 6 7274

7274 could use a balcony overhall. rusted around the sliding glass door on the outside. Didn't really like how the wall comes part of the way up and then the window starts. Would much rather have the entire balcony wall looking out be a window. Room is a very good size, TV could be updated. The sofa did have a loose arm, on the side of the beds.

Awesome beach day but thought the beach would be a bit better, or whiter sand. was a bit stoney trying to get in but my son thouroughly enjoyed his snorkeling with the wrecks that are planted. Barefoot beach is beautiful, a bit off the beaten path but find it while you're there. The barbecue lunch provided was very good, it ran from 12 to 1:30. The line at first was very long but if you wait till about 12:45 you'll be fine and be able to eat with no line.
Read 235 CocoCay Reviews

Nassau is really nothing spectacular so we took a cab independently over to Atlantis on Paradise Island. Quite hectic when you get off the ship with everyone else, but we were able to get a taxi with really no problem, as the drivers are right at the end of the pier asking where you want to go. Only $4 one way per person and really only took 10 or 15 mins. to get there. We decided to do the Discover Atlantis tour which is $40 pp and allows you to see 2 of the aquariums and pretty much walk Atlantis at your leisure. We also ate dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe which had awesome burgers!
Read 2645 Nassau Reviews

Airboat Tour

(5)
did the jungle adventure/airboat ride excursion. well worth the $, 5 hrs and only $64. LOVED the airboat ride on the st johns river. The Jungle Adventure zoo was good but didn't really need the two "talks" once we arrived. One suggestion is that because we are gone through dinner, they should include some sort of complimentary meal or snack on this excursion. Would DEFINITELY recommend it though.