Carnival Ecstasy Cruise Review by uknurse: Carnival Ecstasy 4 Day Bahamas review January 2013

uknurse
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Carnival Ecstasy Bahamas Cruises

Carnival Ecstasy 4 Day Bahamas review January 2013

Sail Date: January 2013
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Other

Just got back from the Ecstasy 4 day cruise to Nassau and Freeport from Port Canaveral. I had a fun time and the cruise met my expectations, here is my experience...

Getting there - we drove from our home in the Tampa area to Port Canaveral. We parked at Cruise Parking of Port Canaveral, which I reserved online for 3.99 a day. This parking is off the beaten path and it was about a 15 minute drive to the port. After we checked in there, they valet parked our car (optional) and we waited only 5 or 10 minutes to leave. They dropped us off at the ship.

Getting on - waited in line for security about 10 minutes, breezed through check in (did online check in before getting there). Walked on the ship around 12:30 and ate lunch at the lido deck.

The room - I got a porthole room, U3. It was small but did the trick for the low price I paid. Plus, we never are in the room except to shower and sleep. The porthole windows were nice, you couldn't see too much but the More platform in front of the windows was deep and I put our luggage there, so that was nice. We had an oceanview previously, which was definitely better but I don't know that I would pay more for the oceanview again, unless it was a much longer cruise. The porthole was not noisy except when arriving in port one morning briefy. The room was at the very front of the ship and so there was not much noise from the hallway at all. The steward was great, knew our names before we even met. Brought us ice and wine glasses, kept the ice bucket full, offered a hair dryer (no fridge or hair dryer in my room).The food - was actually not too impressed. The food was much better on our first cruise. My husband and I are picky though, so there are lots of things we didn't try. Of course if we didn't like something they were more than happy to bring out something else. The lido deck was crowded but we didn't eat there much. The silverware was dirty at times in the dining room. We did anytime dining, which I loved for the flexibility but the service was remarkably slow at times. I know the staff was very busy, but I think the service would be more prompt on scheduled dining. We had to wait in line twice to eat, once on formal night we waited about 20 minutes and then another night only briefly for 5 minutes or so. They accomodated a table for two each time we requested. The "super charged" maitre'd Joseph was funny, we met him and it even turns out he and his wife live in the same town as we do.

Entertainment - we went to the adult comedy shows, they were pretty good. Had fun the casino, also went to the towel folding class, ice carving demonstration, and art auction on the sea at day. There were a lot of shows but we didn't make it to them, including the Hasbro game show which I overheard parts of and it sounded fun. Otherwise we just hung out on the ship drinking or chilling out on deck. We also watched some sports as the NFL playoffs were going on. The ship had the games playing in one of the lounges on a big screen, so that was nice. I thought there was lots to do and the areas never felt crowded except for once at a jewelry sale in which I thought women were going to kill each other over charm bracelets. There was always chairs available on deck it seemed, though the pool and hot tubs were crowded. We never got in, we are from Florida and tanning and swimming were not important to us.Debarkation - We did self assist. They called our zone even earlier than scheduled. We walked right off, stood in line about 10 minutes for customs. Then we had to call the Cruise Parking of Port Canaveral to pick us up. They send a driver with names of people in order that you call. Since there was 3 or 4 ships in port, the wait was kind of long. I think we waited about 40 minutes. This was a little annoying, but again, for the price I won't complain. We paid $21 for parking when at the port it would have been $90ish I think.

In general - the cruise met my expectations. The price was only $189pp, I definitely feel like I got my money's worth. I would do it again, but my advice is don't go on a cruise that costs less if your expectations are high. I heard so many people complaining about stupid stuff, comparing it to bigger, better ships and itineraies. What did you really expect? The ship was always clean, the staff was nicer than nice, there was plenty to do. If you are looking for a value priced getaway, especially if you are in driving distance, this is a great cruise. Less

Read more Carnival Ecstasy cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Ecstasy Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Ecstasy Interior Empress u3

Room small, porthole nice, at end of hallway, little to no noise from hallway. Ship only noisy when pulling into port one morning. Could definitely feel the boat rocking, which we like but obviously could be bad for others. Could put our suitcases in the platform to the porthole. Enough closet space for the two of us. Would book again.

Freeport - Again, no excursions. We got off the ship and went to the straw market. We also took a taxi to Port Lucaya marketplace, where we shopped. The straw market was pretty much the same, but they had some more jewelry stores. There was a beach there somewhere, but we didn't go and we heard it was windy and not great for laying out. Then cabbed back to the port, wondered around the market and restaurants some more and headed back to the ship for lunch. I probably won't have spent the money for the cab to Port Lucaya again ($10 roundtrip pp and it took about 20 minutes). It was pretty weather but I wasn't too impressed with Freeport at all. There is a Senor Frogs right when you get off the ship, so thats an option if you want to drink or eat lunch.
Read 771 Freeport Reviews

Nassau - We didn't book excursions... We walked to the local Junkanoo beach, which was small and surrounded by industrial looking things. It was nice enough for a free beach but we didn't stick around. Then we wondered through the straw market, and ended up at Senor frogs. Senor Frogs was fun, we got drinks and they had a DJ doing all sorts of contests, giving away free shots and lots of young people acting wild. We met some nice people there and we shared a taxi to the Atlantis. The cost was $4 pp one way. We walked around where we could at Atlantis since we had never been. Couldn't get in the water park or the beach, but still got a nice little free tour. After this it was about time to get back to the ship.
Read 2607 Nassau Reviews