Carnival Dream Cruise Review by Little Rain: Dream Vacation

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Western Caribbean Cruises

Dream Vacation

Sail Date: December 2012
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

I was traveling with my sister's family as a group of 7. Travelers were me (late 50's), my sister and her husband in their mid 40's, daughters 4, 17 & 21 and a son 6. We had 2 adjoining cove balcony cabins on deck 2 with me sharing with the 3 girls.

Our embarkation on Jan 5, 2013 was very quick and we were on board enjoying lunch by 11:30 am. Our luggage arrived at our cabins smoothly and we unpacked and were ready to tour our new home. We toured camp carnival for the little ones and the spa for us.

A new addition is the "cheers beverage program" which is similar to an all inclusive for liquor. It was $49/person/day including a 15% gratuity and all adults over 21 in the same cabin have to get it if one does. If you average 6 cocktails and 8 beers a day you will be even for the money. They can charge if you go over 15 drinks/day and there is not to be any buying drinks for anyone else. My sister and her husband tried this program.

We were on the your More time dining and the first night we were issued a beeper and waited about 35 minutes for a table. With the young kids we decided to get ready earlier so we wouldn't have to wait for a table. We had Arvin and team for our waiters and arrived early enough every night to get a table in his area. Some nights we had to take a table for 6 and add an extra chair which worked fine since the kids are small. Our service was excellent and after the first night the wait team knew our preferences and served the kids early.

The first stop was Cozumel and it was nice. We didn't participate in shore excursions but enjoyed the shops at the port. The second stop was Belize and I stayed on board with the young kids while the others went cave tubing.

The kids loved Camp Carnival and each morning asked when they could go. Our routine was to go after breakfast, I picked them up for lunch and some days did an afternoon nap, then time with other family members followed by dinner and bed. The camp activities involved making t-shirts, face painting, games, puzzles, movies and dancing. They provide a phone for parents so they can contact you if they need to. Luckily mine never rang!! As a side note. my nephew has a disability and just having turned 6 he was with the 4-5 year old group with his sister. The camp staff was great with him and we felt very confident leaving him there

Our next port was Mahogany Bay, Roatan, however there was a 35 knot wind across the bow of the ship and we were not able to dock. We headed back to sea and shortly after they announced the weather in Costa Maya was also bad and we would not be able to dock there, however we would have a day in Nassau instead. We now had 2 sea days back to back and our last day would be in Nassau. Many of us were disappointed, I had been to Nassau in September and had not been to Costa Maya. Many passengers were very upset and I felt sorry for the customer service reps since so many were complaining.

The piano player, Bob was the best of any cruise I had been on. He kept the crowd engaged and singing with him all night. We had so much fun with him!! The comedy shows were very good along with the shows in the main lounge. Our family also played many of the trivia games and won a few also. The cruise director was very good and they made quick adjustments for each of the sea days that were added.

Overall it was one of the most fun cruises I have been on. Our debarkation was as easy as the embarkation. We did self assist with 6 people and 10 bags and were off the ship by 8:10 am. I was at the airport and through security by 9:15 am and on my way home:( Less

Read more Carnival Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Dream Balcony Main

cabin 2290 and 2294, adjoining cove balcony cabins on deck 2. Plenty of closet space, sofa converted to a bed and a top bunk came down from the ceiling. We liked the cove balcony since it was partially enclosed and it seemed better with small children. We had 4 in cabin 2290 and 3 in cabin 2294.

My sister's family did the cave tubing and had a very good time. They had a slight delay with a bus breaking down, however a replacement was brought in quickly and they continued with the day. The caves were very nice and the provided lunch was also a big hit. They would recommend this excursion.

We stayed at the port area and wandered in some of the shops.
Read 3084 Cozumel Reviews

We went to the market and checked out some of the local art work. We were only in port for a short time since it began to pour rain.
Read 2607 Nassau Reviews