“Great bang For the Buck”
Cruise review of Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas

twin123185 Mariner of the Seas 4 Great bang For the Buck
twin123185
Member Since 2001
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
We originally planned on going to Rome for a week but soon realized it was cheaper to take this cruise back to the states than fly back! 16 nights for $509 pp. This was an unbelievable bargain. Especially starting in Rome and going to Corsica, Mallorca, Cartegena, Spain, two different stops in the Canary Islands and Nassau before disembarking in Galeveston. We spent 6 nights pre cruise based in Rome and had a blast. The trip to Citavecchia was easy as we used Zelit Tours in Rome and I would highly recommend them. We arrived around 3pm and got on the ship quickly though I heard the folks who got there around noon took over two hours due to some problems with the ship's previous cruise. I am not a fan of the RCCL ships with the Promenade. Too crowded in the public areas but I tend to stay away during the busy times. Most people seem to like these ships though. We did not eat in either of the alternative restaurants but I will say that for the first half of the cruise the food in both the main dining room and the buffet were very good. That being said the 2nd half the food was very poor. They ran out of a lot of stuff and were recycling way too much. If you get to breakfast early enough to the buffet you can get good eggs made to order without a long wait. After 8 am good luck. Room service was fine. they charge though if after midnight. Ports for a TA cruise were great. We docked everywhere which was great but beware - if you had a hard time walking or needed assistance everything was very poorly planned. they need to improve getting off the ship and to buses or sights better for certain folks. The crew were friendly and the cruise director and staff were very very good. HOWEVER there really was not much to do for the under 70 crowd on the 9 sea days! Shopping as usual in these ships was poor though there were some good bargains especially if you smoked as they were getting rid of European cigarettes at $10 a carton! Too much nickel and dimeing on this ship. Water expensive and the coffee bar too much - Starbucks prices. Buy water on shore - you save a ton. Johnny Rockets should be free! By the way - the hot dog house at the pool is awesome! There were lots of shows - just not my cup of tea. Bottom line though is that I paid $509 for a 16 night cruise. I will take the bad with the good any day. I think this might be the only I way I cruise in the future when not going to the South Pacific. An unbelievable bargain - just adjust your expectations.
Mariner of the Seas Cruises to Transatlantic
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Interior Stateroom

Port
Nice place to walk around - better here to do an excursion to the interior I imagine
Read 331 Tenerife Reviews
Published 01/17/13
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Mariner of the Seas Review
Mariner of the Seas Cruises to Transatlantic
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?