Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by imshirlee: Constructive Criticism

Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Norwegian Epic Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Constructive Criticism

Sail Date: January 2013

We have just returned from a 7 day cruise on Norwegian Epic. There are so many things about the Epic that need attention I couldn't cover them all here.
First of all, I will say that the food was very good so no complaints there.
Entertainment: Some good, some ok. The Legends in Concert was VERY entertaining. Blue Man Group was ok but too slow paced and became boring. Dueling Pianos was fun.
Four of us paid $20.00 each to walk into The Ice Bar. Nothing in there but a couple of ice sculptures but we did get a free drink with the entrance fee. We were in there five minutes.
The Internet/iphone/ipad connection while on board is a joke. Norwegian Epic website says there is wireless internet in every cabin and throughout the ship. I purchased a $100.00 plan since I'd packed my ipad and iphone. Never got connected. (they did refund my money) Others traveling with us had the same problem, no connection.
Bigger is not always better. We waited in line More for elevators, we waited in line for shows, we waited in line for meals. The line at Embarkation was the length of a football field (at least) and on the morning we got off there was total confusion about the procedure. We were told we could opt to "walk off" with our own bags after 7:30. From our Balcony at 7:30 a.m. we saw people with their bags getting off the ship and went down to deck Four with our bags as instructed to get off the ship. We were met with, again, a line the length of a football field, all with bags trying to get off the ship but not being allowed to get off. I'm fully aware that ships must get clearance before disembarkment can begin but I assumed since we were offered the "walk off anytime after 7:30" we could get off then and especially after we'd seen from our balcony at least 150-200 people leaving with bags at 7:30. Every member of staff we asked either had a different answer or just didn't know what was happening.
The Cabins are poorly designed, suites are even small. The Casino is in the middle of the ship, there is no way to get to the opposite end on that deck without going directly through the casino (where smoking is allowed).
We asked the staff member in the Internet Cafe if he would print off our Boarding passes for return trip home. He said we'd have to sign up for Internet Service there at the Internet Cafe and pay the $3.98 for sign up, plus time spent on line. (this just to print off document on the last day of cruise).
Hallways smelled unpleasant and not sure if it was a rare (pee) scent sprayed as a deodorizer or actually pee. It was Offensive!
We had dinner the first night in the Manhattan Room, there was a live orchestra and it was so loud we were unable to have a conversation with people at our table. Totally not "background music for dinner", it was a band in concert AS WE TRIED TO HAVE DINNER AND CONVERSATION. Everything on the ship is LOUD. Although we love being in the middle of the "party", the band on the deck by the pool was much TOO loud, we couldn't enjoy spending time there so headed for the Adult deck on top. This area was great (and quiet). We packed " casual dress up" clothes for the Specialty restaurants (as the website/brochure said) but were WAY out of place. People came in shorts and tee shirts. We are casual people so love going casual but Norwegian needs to clarify ALL CASUAL or some dressy areas and enforce this.
I could go on (seriously) but won't. There were many conversations onboard with other passengers, ALL expressed pretty much the same complaints and issues I've listed here. Norwegian "missed the boat" with this cruise ship. Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Epic Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Epic 8069

mini suite is too small, poorly designed. Not enough drawer space. Bathroom design missed the mark. A separation of commode and shower was ok but lavatory should have been placed in commode area, not in middle of the cabin.