Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by cruiserjack1

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by cruiserjack1
Celebrity Silhouette
Celebrity Silhouette
Member Name: cruiserjack1
Cruise Date: December 2012
Cabin Category: 07
See More About: Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Entertainment 5+

Seven Fantastic Days and Nights!
PERSONAL-- I am mid-50s and traveled with a friend on this cruise. We have both cruised quite a bit, and appreciate Celebrity's style.

EMBARCATION-- The lines moved, the staff was courteous, and we were on board in matter of minutes. Since we arrived around 1:00 PM, we were able to drop our carry-ons in our cabin and enjoy a buffet lunch. A nice way to start the cruise! Our luggage was delivered to our cabin by 3:00 PM.

SHIP OVERALL-- I had sailed on a few Solstice-class ships before. This is a beautiful class of ships, with gracious public spaces, a nice variety of dining rooms and options, and attractive cabins. The Silhouette is maintained perfectly, and was festively decorated for Christmas.

CABIN-- We had an oceanview cabin on Deck Three. The bedding is very nice, and the storage adequate. I wish that there were more drawers, but the over-bed cabinets hold a lot of stuff. I appreciated the variety of music options available through the TV. There are also video lectures and films, some for free. Our cabin steward and his assistant were attentive. I never heard a sound from either adjacent cabin. We had room service breakfast every morning, and it came promptly as ordered.

DINING-- We chose "Select Dining" so that we could dine around 7:00 PM and enjoy the 9 PM show. (On this cruise most shows were at 7:00 PM and 9:00 PM.) We never had to wait for a table, whether we dined by ourselves or with friends we made on the cruise. Service was excellent, and the food was delicious every night. We enjoyed an especially fine dinner at the Tuscan Grill one night($30 per person.) Allow at least two hours for a meal here! The Oceanview Cafe offers quite a variety of foods for the buffet options. We also enjoyed the special brunch in the main dining room on one of the sea days. It didn't get special mention, but I knew to look for it in the daily cruise news.

ENTERTAINMENT-- Our cruise director, Stewart Turnbull, is experienced and skilled. He and his staff did a great job. I always love the evening shows, and the troupe on this cruise including the most talented singers and dancers I've seen on any cruise I've taken. And they performed a lot! In addition to their three big shows, they also put on a special Christmas holiday show. One show is modeled on the Cirque du Soleil style, another has a Broadway theme and the last is focused on various dance styles. Four aerialists were astonishing with their performances. The troupe and cruise staff also put on some thematic dances and shows. A very talented illusionist from Norway performed one night and a young Broadway musical theater actress sang on another. Michele Balan, a very funny comedian, offered late night adult comedy several nights. There were a variety of music soloists and groups, including Neptune, a very talented a capella group, playing throughout the ship, day and night.

FITNESS/SPA-- I used the gym every day, and was satisfied with the equipment. This was a very fit crowd, so there were waits for equipment and cardio machines, but folks moved through. I didn't sign up for any fitness class, nor did I have a spa treatment.

PORTS-- We visited Coco Cay (the private island), St. Thomas and St. Maarten. Coco Cay was lovely, with plenty of lounge chairs, nice swimming and snorkeling areas, and a delicious lunch. Folks had lots of options, including renting sailboats, jetskis or snorkle gear. I'm a diver, so I booked dive trips in St. Thomas and St, Maarten. I find that Celebrity offers great dives at reasonable prices. I was pleased with both excursions on this cruise. My friend doesn't dive, but enjoyed strolling through the towns.

MISC-- The captain was very gracious; he and his senior officers mingled with guests a good deal. He also did a great job in announcing Santa's arrival on the ship on Christmas Day! Celebrity also thoughtfully provided religious services (both Catholic and Protestant) on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

Publication Date: 01/16/13