Celebrity Millennium Cruise Review by cathysmom

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Celebrity Millennium Cruise Review by cathysmom
Celebrity Millennium
Celebrity Millennium
Member Name: cathysmom
Cruise Date: July 2012
Embarkation: Vancouver
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: 03
See More About: Celebrity Millennium Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals

Alaska July 13-20, 2012
This was my second cruise in the past 10 years and the first for several in our group. Though things were a bit rocky at first (bad travel agent, nightmare getting to Vancover...) we all had a great time.

Vancouver....we arrived the day before sailing and stayed at a Holiday Inn Express near the airport...accomodations were good and they provided transportation to the ship....

Boarding....No complaints! We were on the ship in no time...

Cabin 3101. Though our friends all opted for the balcony we went with an Outside Cabin. And I have to say I was impressed...The window was huge, the layout was good and I think I had a better view than my friends on deck 6...afterall they had to go out on the balcony to see the view I saw sitting on my sofa!

Millenium overall...I'm not a frequent traveler but I thought the ship was great. I didnt wear white gloves or inspect with microscopes....I was on vacation an as long as things looked clean I was happy. One thing to note: the crew and hand sanitizer...they were all over. Much appreciated!

Meals...We ate dinner in the main dinning room every night. As on our other cruise the waiters & assistants are the best! Not one complaint! For lunch when we were on the ship..The Hamburgers & Hot Dogs by the pool! I am crazy about the meals we got there!! Funny how of all the fancy foods I went for Hot Dogs & Fries!! Call me crazy!

Activities/Shows...Didnt get to the evening shows...My fellow travellers (including my DH) are early birds! But the ones I went to were good...The cruise director (female) was very talented...Since we were cruising Alaska there wasnt much happening around the pool (at least I wasnt out there to see!) We did take a tour of the Kitchen...that was pretty cool...We did Bingo (didnt win as usual) and I did some scrapbooking...Most of the group was just happy with sitting around and chilling...Oh, my DH & I went to a "Star Chef" show...Too Funny!! Since we didnt have children with us I cant comment on the kids activities.

Ports: Note that my friends & I are quilters...so we made sure to look for quilt shops when we could....Alaska has some nice ones!!

Ketchikan...Found a Quilt Shop! Went to the Lumberjack Show...it was pretty good. We enjoyed it alot. We also walked around town & took pictures...Ketchikan was a cute stop.

Icy Strait Point: This was a tender port and a new experience. Enjoyed it, Here we went Whale Watching...at first I thought I'd never see a whale...and then about 20 mins into it there they were!! Amazing! We even had one put on a show for us! Took photos & video! Great memories!! Part of our group walked to Hoonah. They were supposed to get a bus but that never happened...But as some of the best times you have are accidental this was the case for my friends...they just walked & talked to folks...met some nice people and had a very good lunch. This was a good stop for all!

Juneau...We all did different things here...The DH & I went to the Mendenhall Glacier. Our bus driver (young girl) was a blast. She gave us a little history as we drove to the glacier. What an amazing site. There was a huge waterfall there as well...Great photos!!! Once back we did the Mt Roberts Tram....I wasnt impressed. But it could be that the weather was overcast and that the group on the tram werent considerate. We also ate lunch at the restaurant. That was very disappointing. Ordered crab legs...overcooked. My Hot Dogs on the ship were better!! But to make up for it we found another quilt shop!!

Skagway...town is a little way from the ship. They had busses. Town was small compared to Juneau. But it was cute...again we found a quilt shop! There was also some "entertainment". While walking the street someone on a rooftop started throwing down money...it was just small coins but it was too funny to watch people scramble...My DH was one of them! Back near the ship we saw some seals. More pictures taken!!

Hubbard Glacier: What an amazing experience. The captain and crew were just wonderful! They angled the ship so everyone got an experience of a lifetime.

Seward...we didn't see much. We signed up for the train to anchorage. This was one of the best decisions we made!!! Funny that our ditzy travel agent tried to talk us into taking a bus to anchorage!! The Train was wonderful. We had a woman guide point out a bunch of interesting things along the way. Everyone was really impressed....

Well that's about it...I probably should have done this post months ago when memories were fresh...but since I am now planning my cruise to New England and reading review I thought I should give one on our last trip.

Publication Date: 01/16/13
Read the Alaska ports review by cathysmom
More Celebrity Millennium Cruise Reviews