Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by aprsl: Nothing Special

Compare Prices on Norwegian Jewel Bahamas Cruises

Nothing Special

Sail Date: December 2012
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

My wife and I decided to book this cruise (12/23) to get away during the holiday and just relax. It was out of NY so this was great since we don't like to fly.Embarkation was relatively easy. The folks at the checkin were business like and efficient.
Rather than give you a long narrative of the cruise let me just hit the highs and lows for us.

THE GOOD:

THE CREW - We found the crew and staff to be consistently friendly and helpful. I am surprised by some of the comments that people were rude because that was not our experience at all.

THE SHIP: The ship was clean and appeared to be well maintained. I saw no evidence that there was poor maintenance.

ENTERTAINMENT: The entertainment was actually pretty good. The magician/comedian as particularly entertaining (Jean-Paul??)

THE BAD:

THE FOOD: I'm not really saying the food was "bad" it was just mediocre. If you're on a cruise spending $1,000+ per person mediocre=BAD. Not what you would More expect. I was bored by day 3 and really didn't look forward to dinner as I had on our prior cruise (another cruise line). I don't think you should have to go to a cover charge venue to get a special meal.
One night they had "surf and turf". The turf looked like it was cut from a normal sized filet mignon. I thought it was a childs portion. THe lobster tail was similarly undersized. Not once on the cruise was shrimp cocktail offered as an appetizer. Surprising!
The Garden Cafe which was an alternative was buffet style and I felt like I was in a poorly managed food court at the mall. We went there once.

THE CABIN: We stayed in a BB Balcony cabin and we were really surprised how small it was. The bathroom was really small. I though if you were a plus sized person you would definitely have a problem.

Would we go "freestyle cruising" again? Regrettably no. THe bad just outweighed the good. Less

Read more Norwegian Jewel cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Jewel Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Jewel Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck Nine 10532

I'm sorry, please explain why the ships stop at Nassau. Except for Paradise Island what a dump!
Read 2627 Nassau Reviews