Celebrity Century Cruise Review by Azulann: Century Panama Canal Holiday Cruise

Compare Prices on Celebrity Century Panama Canal & Central America Cruises

Century Panama Canal Holiday Cruise

Sail Date: December 2012
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America

Booked this cruise in 2011 while I was on the Equinox. I traveled with my sister and two other couples.

Pre-cruise stay in Fort Lauderdale.

We stayed at the Gallery One on the inter coastal waterway for one night. It was a perfect choice. big two room suite on the 11th floor with balcony . It had views of the ocean and downtown FL. We took the water taxi from our hotel to dinner at stop 4. Leisurely ride with funny narration form captain as we passed the mega yachts and great homes all decked out with Christmas lights. We meet a couple from our roll call and shared a ride to Port Everglades the next day at about 12:30 pm.

Embarkation:
It took about 15 minutes, very easy and we were on board with a welcome glass of sparkly wine. Our cruise had begun.

The ship Century:
It is the oldest ship in the Celebrity line. But it is a classic grand old lady , well maintained. As the oldest sister , if you look close you will see some wrinkles. this is a More ship and sounds and feels like you are not in a hotel but on the sea with all the comforts of a fine inn.

Stateroom:
We had 1251, a SV on the Sport deck 12. It is a quiet top deck above the Island Cafe(buffet) and one flight down to the pool deck. Love the aft of the ship,and our balcony was used a lot. Only down side was the location of the outlet below the mirror at the desk. could not use it with our hair dryer until we got an extension cord form our attendant. Our sister-in-law had the adjoining OV stateroom. It was huge with two windows.

Outstanding features of this cruise:

1. Our roll call, it was the best ever.We had the connection party on the first full day . It was well attended by both crew,officers, and guests. We had a gift exchange ,and a request for a bridge tour was quickly fulfilled. We all got invitations the next day for a bridge tour at different times, but I had a spa treatment. The others went and had a great time. Over the next fifteen day we got to know each other and shared a wonderful vacation. I look forward to meeting them again on the high seas.
2.Dining:
we had second seating in the MDR. Food was very good. I loved the chilled soups, wish they were offered each night. Very tasty starters: the Thai spring rolls, roasted beets and cheese. Had streak, chicken, and pork for main course. Only had the shrimp cocktail from the standard menu. Love the variety of the nightly menu.
Murano was outstanding dining experience. We ate there twice. The food, presentation, service was wonderful. I had the Dover Sole and Lobster Tail, and both of the souffles. It was two meals to remember.
Well worth the additional cost.

Ate also in the MDR for breakfast and lunch. Ate lunch from the pool grill and Aqua Spa Cafe. Good food.
Breakfast was in the buffet and room service also. Room service was prompt and food hot. Eating breakfast on your balcony as the sun rises is a great way to begin your day.

3. Service:

Had great stateroom attendant and wait staff. that is one of the reason I like Celebrity. Guest relations solved our very minor dilemmas very efficiently and in a friendly manner. the hotel director John and activity director Jamie provided lots of activities for all the guests.

4.A Plethora of Sea days,
this was a first for me . Usually on my 10 or 12 day cruises I had two sea day.
So with time to spend, I had a massage, manicure, played bingo, went to lectures, laid on a lounger by the pool, read, took naps, had great conversations with guests from all over the world, visited the Cova Cafe in the morning and afternoon, and watched the wake from the Sunset bar.

5. Bars
the Martini Bar on the Century is a classic. Love it much more than the versions on the S class ships. Michaels Club is fine for the late evening and the Sunset bar is perfect for sail away. Wish they had a live singer at the Sunset like they do on the S class ships.

Conclusion:
the highlight of the cruise was the full transit of the Panama Canal on Christmas Eve. It was beyond my expectations. I believe everyone should do this one time in their life. It is truly a man- made wonder of the world.
I will never forget the New Years Eve party on the pool deck .What a way to welcome 2013 as we sailed the Pacific Ocean.

The ports of call were interesting and had great time. I have been on land vacation in all the countries except Columbia and Panama.
I have posted my port excursions on the port of call forums.

It was great to be back on the Century and love sailing the Celebrity ships. Will be back in Europe in 2014. Less

Read more Celebrity Century cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Century Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Century Sunset Veranda Stateroom Sports Deck (12) 1251

Plenty of closet and storage space, smaller balcony compared to other SV . Location of outlet under the mirror above the desk did not work for a hair dryer. Beds were very comfortable.