Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review by Snowballindiana: Enjoyable New Year's Eve Cruise

Snowballindiana
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Jewel of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Enjoyable New Year's Eve Cruise

Sail Date: December 2012
Embarkation: Tampa

Either the menu items improved or the Jewel offers a better standard of food compared to the Rhapsody I was on summer 2011 (where I got Norovirus, 1st time - & I've cruised a lot). This was the first Schooner Bar I've seen on RCCL that was large & beautiful - their entry looks like a museum exhibit from the Victoria museum & the aroma was sulfur (similar to what Disney might do in a ride). Very authetic! Behind this area is the Safari Lounge - a nice large area with a great theme. The Solarium area is different than the other RCCL ships, very exotic - you could tell big bucks was put into this.

I appreciate now that the Windjammer stays opens later for lunch on shore excursion days (an improvement from years back). We saw in the Compass there was a Seaview eating area on Deck 13 for light snacks - though we never could find it & we were on Deck 13 from stem to stern. We stopped an officer who had no idea of the area we were talking about - even if we were on the wrong More deck, he should have know the area!

I enjoy being a Diamond member but we noticed next door (on the Viking Crown Lounge) that each night the Diamond Plus & Pinnacle lounge area had 2-4 people max with food items being offered (besides the customary complimentary beer, wine or soda for both our seating areas). We asked if we could combine the 2 rooms, as our lounge area had 10 people max on any night. We were told policy was policy, so who knows what happened to those free food items - tossed out?Our Deluxe balcony was cramped but our balcony was oversized with the customary round table, 2 chairs & a chaise. We had gotten a senior citizen rate & $100 off the balcony due to being Diamond members. The bedding was an improvement over our last few cruises of 2009-2011.

We always enjoy the art auctions. The entertainment by the Jewel dancers & singers was the worse we have ever seen. They could dance & the costumes were gorgeous - but the 2 lead singers werea awful. The Safari lounge singers were excellent.

The service was excellent & went out of their way to get get us iced tea on the Windjammer deck. I like the way the food areas are spread out with the signage.

We had been to Grand Cayman & Cozumel several times. Grand Cayman is high end shopping (I love that). Cozumel, well, is Cozumel though we did the Salsa, Salsa & Margarita tour which was A+ - highly recommend.

We always book another cruise while sailing (to take advantage of the future onboard credit). We sail 3/1 on the Majesty (probably our 4th time on that ship). I have been on that ship since refurnishment (2007) but hope some of the improvements seen here appear on the Majesty. Less

Read more Jewel of the Seas cruise reviews >>