Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by BrendiniOne: Not as Good as the Last Time

Compare Prices on Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean Cruises

Not as Good as the Last Time

Sail Date: December 2012
Embarkation: New Orleans

We really enjoyed the Conquest the first time we sailed on her. This experience was less pleasant, though we did have a good time. There were 5 of us sailing together. My partner and I are in our 50's and we had three adult children with us.

Cabin:
We were on Panorama deck interior cabins. We love the location of these cabins and really loved our cabin steward, Olvin. He was the best!

Dining:
We dined at the steakhouse the first night and really enjoyed the food and service. The second night we went to our assigned table in the Monet dining room. It was a 10 top and we met a very nice family from Canada that was seated with us. Service was awful! We waited 45 minutes for bread and water.It took almost 2 hours to get our entrees - well most of them. My daughter's grilled chicken did not come out. They "rushed" her order and she got it about 15 minutes later. Our table mates told us service was the same on the first night, so we decided we'd try to switch to More anytime dining. I spoke to the Maitre D and he asked us to please give them another chance. The next night four nights service was excellent. We were pleased with the improvement but wonder why it was necessary to complain just to get good service. The food was okay. We always found something to eat and everything was edible. We ate at the comedy brunch for breakfast and it was good. Food was much better than the "comedy appetizer". Highly recommend the "hena divala" (not sure of the spelling!) It was a chicken dish on the brunch menu and the most flavorful dish we had on the ship! The last day at the brunch was a comedy of errors. The waiter got mine and my partner's entrees wrong on the first 2 tries. Finally, brought the right dish the third time. There were several other mistakes in service, but it turned in to one of our favorite meals when he made a bunny puppet from a napkin and tried to make us laugh after all the mistakes. We did enjoy Guy's Burgers for lunch, especially the fries!

The Ship:
She seemed much noisier than the first time we sailed her. We would hear random shrieks and crashes during the night that were loud enough to wake us. The women's restroom near the casino was very loud. The ceiling in there vibrated and made noises constantly.

Ports and Excursions:
Roatan - We love Roatan and chose this itinerary just for that port. We did the Snorkel with Dolphins excursion, our daughters went on the semi-submersible and our son-in-law went scuba diving. He seemed to enjoy the diving and the girls enjoyed the semi-submersible. We were less pleased with our dolphin encounter. The first part interacting with the dolphins was very nice, but the snorkeling was disappointing. We were not allowed to snorkel near the net surrounding the area or in the shallow parts and that is where the dolphins mostly stayed. It was obvious that they did not enjoy us being there and wanted little to do with us. At one point, several dolphins got into a "fight" when my partner was near them and the workers started screaming at her to get away.(She was already swimming away as fast as she could!) It did seem a bit dangerous and I wondered about the safety of the excursion. One other concern, the dolphin we "interacted" with was named Dixon. He was five years old and was born in captivity. He had numerous scars from bites of other dolphins and was even missing a chunk of his dorsal fin from a bite. It reinforced my belief that the dolphins there are not happy in their environment.
Belize - We went on the Bannister Island Beach Break and Snorkel. It started out really bad. We were told to report to the lounge at 8:30 for our tour. We got in line before 8:00 and got to the front of the line about 8:15. We were given stickers and told to have a seat and wait for our numbers to be called. My partner handed me her stuff and went for a quick restroom break. We sat down and people around us told us that our number had been called already. The girls went to talk to the excursion people and I ran to get my partner. It was 8:20 and they were telling the girls we would miss the boat (even though we were supposed to report at 8:30!) They rushed us down to get on the boat and then we sat there for 25 minutes waiting on the rest of the people! The catamaran was a disappointment. It was not the kind with a sail - more like a tender with seats in rows. It plodded along very slowly and was not a lot of fun. The reef we snorkeled was beautiful and we saw many types of fish and coral. We then went to Bannister Beach which was nice, but very crowded. By the time our boat got there, all of the beach chairs had been claimed. We eventually found a table and 4 chairs over by the gift shop. My daughters got in line to get food. It was 11:00 AM and they were out of about half the menu items. The girls settled for chips and salsa and fries. It took 45 minutes to get the food and a few minutes later we boarded the boat to go back to the ship. All in all, I would not do this excursion again.
Cozumel- Our standard in Cozumel is a cab ride to Chakanaab for a day of snorkeling. As always, we enjoyed our day there. There were 8 ships in port that day and it was more crowded than usual, but still very nice.

Overall:
We love cruising and usually roll with the punches. However, I do not think I will sail the Conquest again. There were just too many issues that detracted from the overall experience. Less

Read more Carnival Conquest cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Conquest Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Conquest Interior Panorama 1032

Cabin was very noisy. Shrieks and bangs of unknown origin during the night.