Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by lgrug321: Wonderful vacation!

lgrug321
Member Since 2013

Family & Children 4.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Freedom Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Wonderful vacation!

Sail Date: December 2012

Our cruise was a celebration. My son is graduating college, my youngest daughter is graduating high school and turning 18, I am turning 50 and my mother-in-law is turning 75. How better to celebrate than with a cruise?
We arrived at the port around 1PM.There is a lot of construction going on around the port, so that was a bit of a headache trying to find exactly where to go. Once inside the terminal, check in was efficient. We were on board by 1:45. We were allowed to go to our rooms immediately. There were 8 of us sailing so we had arranged for 2 adjacent balcony suites. Our steward was wonderful and by the time we returned from lunch the door between the balconies was open, giving us a very nice space. The cabin was in a nice location on the 7th deck; we found it fairly easy to navigate from.
Our suites were a little smaller than I expected, but had a very nice amount of storage space. Since our second room consisted of 4 females ranging in age from 17-23, it was all needed! More My only complaint is the the sofa bed is very uncomfortable! I have bragged and bragged on the comfort of the beds on cruises, so I almost cried the first night when I dropped into bed and found it to be slightly more comfortable than sleeping on the ground. It would have been much nicer to have had an upper and lower berth in the room along with the 2 twins.
The food was good, but the dining room staff seemed to be a bit overwhelmed. They have increased the number of tables each head server is responsible for and given him another helper, but our waiter's helpers seemed to be "borrowed" by other servers frequently. As a result, our poor wonderful Richard had a hard time getting everything done. Expect it to take 1-1.5 hours to eat, and just enjoy it.
Entertainment has greatly improved in the past year, as have the comedians. I enjoyed every show I went to.
We did the self-assist and were off the boat by 6:30 AM.
All in all, it was a wonderful trip! Less

Read more Carnival Freedom cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Freedom Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Freedom Suite Empress

We had 2 balcony suites on deck 7 since there were 8 of us. The rooms were nice and having a dressing area was wonderful. The steward opened the balcony up between the rooms and that was really convenient. I would give the room a 5 except the stupid couch bed was horrible! Very sad, since I was really looking forward to a comfy Carnival bed. It was slightly softer than sleeping on the floor. They should really consider making an upper and lower berth instead of the %^&** couch!

In Antigua we did the Canopy Tour and Challenge Course. Very fun, very challenging! You don't have to be an athlete to do it, but it helps if you are at least moderately fit. We lost about half our group on the challenge course: it is quite difficult! With the aid of the almost 18 year old daughter (who is fearless) I made it and did not have to take the walk of shame. This excursion also gets you away from the port and into the island, which is very beautiful. As to the port itself, it is very pretty but it smells like sewage. Get off the main area, go to Hemingway's and find a spot on the balcony to people watch.
Read 803 Antigua Reviews

I had not planned on even getting off the boat in Nassau (been there, done that, not impressed) but I am glad I did. The entire area around the port has been redone, and it is much improved. The straw market has been rebuilt and is wonderful now. The hair braiding people have also been moved. Now if they could only get rid of the "free necklace" people!
Read 2644 Nassau Reviews

Snorkeling

(5)
We snorkeled in St.Thomas with John, Johnny, and Dave on one of the Caribbean Girl catamarans, and it was wonderful! They are all "lost boys" (30 going on 16) but were very professional in their skills. Don't let the "party boy" act fool you into worrying that they are incapable. They were in fact the most hardworking crew in terms of customer satisfaction that I have ever sailed with, and I have been on probably 20 snorkel excursions. I highly recommend them.

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! If I ever win the lottery, I will have a house on Tortola. Clean, delightful, can't say enough good about it. The young adults hiked and toured, while we older folks wandered the town. Sunny Caribbe is a terrific little shop, and one street back is an alley with craft shops and stores and cafes. It is not cheap, but I could have cheerfully spent all day wandering.
Read 502 Tortola Reviews