Norwegian Pearl Cruise Review by rkb1970

Norwegian Pearl
Member Name: rkb1970
Cruise Date: December 2012
Cabin Category: BA
See More About: Norwegian Pearl Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
        7-9 4.0

Terrific time for the whole family!!
We had a terrific time! Grandparents, parents and kids all really enjoyed our week! There are definitely some things that could have been better but all in all I am so glad we cruised the Norwegian Pearl to the Western Caribbean!

Cabins:

We had 3 mid-ship balcony cabins. My husband and I in one, and then my in-laws and kids in two connecting ones a few cabins down the hall. Perfect! A little tight, but this is a cruise and we knew what we were getting! Besides, we hardly spent any time in the cabins....

Staff:

AMAZING!!! All of them so friendly and nice. The cabin steward made "towel animals" for us each night and the kids couldn't wait to see what we got each night! Our steward introduced himself when we got to our cabins and made a point to learn all of our names. Room was cleaned up almost every time we left! For a small space, having it straightened up really helps!!

Kids Club:

They separated them by age and both of my kids were in the 6-9 year old group. My daughter, 7, LOVED the kids club and couldn't wait to go back! She made some friends and we saw them at the pool - it was nice. My son, 9, HATED the kids club! I think that there weren't really any boys his age. I guess it just depends on your kid and the ages and types of other kids on the ship.

Food:

Where to start??!! Food was good. Not the best I have ever had but clearly good enough for me to stuff myself silly! Buffet was good - lots of choices - everyone found something to eat. Only complaint is that they made pasta to order and it took a long time. Always took forever for me to get my pasta!

We ate at the specialty restaurants and they were AMAZING!!! Totally worth the extra $$. La Cucina and Teppanyaki were our favorites. Delicious! We also ate at Cagney's and Moderno, both of which were very very good. Kids enjoyed the ice cream and chocolate fountain. They had a chocoholic buffet from 10pm-12am the night before the last night of the cruise! There was a huge crowd waiting to get in at 10 - I wish we had waited until 10:15 or so to avoid the herd! But OMG - delicious!!

Soda package is obnoxious! We did it, but seriously, having to pay extra for sodas? AND, my daughter doesn't like soda so we had to "upgrade" hers to include juice for an extra charge!! That was annoying.

Activities:

My kids enjoyed basketball court, rock climbing, and became surprisingly addicted to shuffleboard! The pool was very small and there were 4 hot tubs that were ALWAYS packed. That is my biggest complaint of the whole cruise! However, kids couldn't get enough of pool/hot tubs and didn't seem to mind at all. We saw three comedy shows - Second City show was great - the improv show wasn't as good. My son came with us because he wouldn't go to the kids club but he really enjoyed the shows, too! (The early ones were family friendly). Lots to do on board, however, we didn't get the schedules until the night before so we missed some fun stuff due to our dinner reservations.

All in all - terrific time and I highly recommend to anyone!

Publication Date: 01/10/13