Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review by laugai: Family Fun in the Carribean Sun!

laugai
Member Since 2012

Family & Children 3.5

Compare Prices on Navigator of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Family Fun in the Carribean Sun!

Sail Date: December 2012
Embarkation: New Orleans

Our cruise began December 15, 2012. It was our first cruise and I was nervous about cruising with kids (ages 11 & 6). We got through the security lines in less than an hour and were able to walk to the suite check-in with no line. Be sure to look for it if you are staying in a suite, as it took the people who were in front of us an additional hour to get on the boat. By then, we had already unpacked, and started checking out the boat. We went to the Windjammer for a late lunch and finished just in time to get to or muster zone for the drill. After the drill we went to our room and finished setting up our room and getting ready for dinner. I was beginning to the see a pattern! My son decided the theme of our trip was: Eat. Sleep. Repeat!

Our stateroom attendant, Yara, came in and met the kids, asked us questions about some of our preferences, and gave us some tips and ideas. We were doing the 6 pm first seating dinner for the week, the food and service were great. More It was nice to be able to look out and watch the sea as we started dinner the first night but before dinner arrived my youngest was not feeling well so I took him to the room and we both went to sleep. Thankfully that was the only time we experienced any uneasy feelings during our cruise. Our waiter prepared our food and let them bring it up to us. It wasn't necessary but very appreciated when I woke up starving. We had room service deliver breakfast every morning so that we could get ready at our own pace. On the days we were at sea we had a late breakfast and on the days we were in port it was earlier depending on what time we had to get off the boat. We were at sea for the first three days and my kids ended up spending a lot of time in the Adventure Ocean program. The youngest loved it and would cry when I would pick him up. This was especially shocking for us as we thought that he would not want to be away from us. We even ended up letting him stay for the late night events twice. For $6 per child they can stay until 2 AM. We were never able to stay up quite that late but they did get to stay until midnight. One night they had an adorable pirate parade and they painted their faces and walked through the promenade chanting. It was very cute and they all were having fun. They had events planned for them the entire cruise. On the last day at sea they hosted a talent show in the Cosmopolitan Bar for them and I swear it was the cutest thing ever. My oldest had fun the first few days, but I didn't want him to be a self signer so he decided he would spend more time hanging out with us. We didn't spend nearly as much time at the pool as I thought we would, we only ended up going swimming once. The pools were to deep for my youngest to reach the ground. The ice skating show was a hit with everyone in our family. We played bingo and even won a little money. We enjoyed the entertainment each night and the morning show was funny. We even sent a few shout outs to other family members that were on board.

Next time we will probably do two beach days and one adventure day for excursions. Maybe zip line or a dolphin encounter?

Some of the things I was very glad to have were: air deodorizer, highlighters for the daily compass, pens, waterproof camcorder (go pro), and good walking sandals. I used the packing list found on cruise critic and we found ourselves very well prepared. Less

Read more Navigator of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Navigator of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Navigator of the Seas Junior Suite Deck 6 9280

Huge closet! I was very surprised to be able to fit almost everything we had plus the luggage in the closet. Plus there was additional drawers around the vanity/desk area. Great balcony, 3 chairs and a lounge chair. The location of the room was quiet and provided great views!

Our final stop was in Cozumel. We did not do an excursion instead, we took a cab to the forum shops had lunch at Pancho's Backyard, shopped a little and then headed back to the boat. Somehow this still took about 4 hours.
Read 3107 Cozumel Reviews

Our first port of call was in Falmouth, Jamaica. We ended up not booking our excursions until the night before our first port because we couldn't make up our mind. We ended up doing the Irie Mon Beach Break, which took up to Cornwall Beach. It was so perfect. The bus ride was about 30 mins but it was a very scenic ride, we saw the track the Usan Bolt ran on, which wasn't much of a track but cool to see and the Hope House and other tourist attractions. Upon arrival the hostess had bottled water or Jamaican Rum for us to drink and they had chairs and umbrellas. We rented scuba masks for the kids and got in the water. There was an aqua trampoline and climbing wall, but it was further out then my kids were interested in going, but would be great for teens and adults. They served a great lunch with jerk chicken, pork, corn, hush puppies, and fruits. There were only a handful of vendors and they stayed at there booths and didn't bother you much at all. It was the least intrusive of the three ports as far as vendors go, but I am sure that is because it is a private beach. There was a security guard and two life guards. There was also a place to get massages on the beach, we didn't partake but several did. There were only about 40 people total on the beach so it wasn't crowded at all. The bathroom and washroom facilities were large and clean.
Read 479 Falmouth Reviews

4X4 Jeep Adventure

(3)
Our next stop was in Grand Cayman. We did the 4x4 Jeep Adventure tour/beach break. A bus took us to Tiki Beach where we picked up our Jeep. Our guides were informative, funny, and great with the group. The jeeps were clean and in great shape. The tour itself was okay, but we thought it would be more off road type riding. Instead it was a lot of sight seeing. We wend to the North Reef and it was beautiful to see and walk around a little there. We also stopped in Hell and at the Tortuga's Rum Factory. It was neat to drive through the neighborhoods and on the the wrong side of the road. After the driving tour we went back to Tiki Beach. Lunch was not included so we had lunch and the bar there, then rented more snorkel gear and went to the beach. There were chairs but no umbrellas. There were no vendors, and we spent a few hours in the water the kids loved looking for fish around the coral.