Carnival Valor 5

“Awesome Cruise on the Valor”
Cruise review of Carnival Valor

aannyyaavv
Member Since 2012
2 Forum Posts

Overall Member Rating

I will begin my review by saying that after reading some of the negative reviews about Valor, I was surprised. Having previously cruised with more expensive lines like Princess and Celebrity, I must say that I am a convert to Carnival. In my review I will briefly outline a few aspects of the cruise.

Cabins: We booked an inside cabin on deck 7, Empress. The deck itself was quiet, but there is very poor soundproofing in the rooms. We weren't even close to the elevator and we could hear the 'ding' every time it came all the way to our room. The room is what you'd expect of an inside cabin. There is sufficient storage space, lots of hangers, etc. Our cabin steward was very friendly. She even went as far as to learn our names. The only thing missing in the cabin were a few extra amenities, like hair conditioner and hand lotion, which we had received for free on other lines, but a few amenities really aren't worth the hundreds of dollars we saved by booking with More Carnival.

Rosie's Restaurant: Rosie's is the buffet onboard the Valor. For breakfast, they served pancakes, french toast, eggs, cereals, and traditional breakfast fares. Breakfast opened early and went on until 12:00 for late risers. For lunch, they had a few different stations, my favorite being the Mongolian Wok. This venue was also very popular, and the line generally took 20-30mins. Lunch was only open until 2:30, and the buffet re-opened for dinner at 6:00. In the few hours between, the only options for food were "off the grill" which serves chicken wings, hot dogs, etc, and the pizzeria. There is also 24h self serve ice cream available.

Lincoln Dining Room: we requested 8:15 seating. I really liked the decor of the dining room. The layout of the tables was also very nice, as it seemed more private. Our head waitress, Netty, and her team did an awesome job of serving us. They really did a great job and made the experience very enjoyable for us. The food itself was good. There were also lots of healthier options, which I enjoyed. The melting chocolate cake is heavenly.

Other dining venues: we never tried any of the for fee venues, because the food in the main dining rooms is good, so why pay extra. We did enjoy coffee in the Java Cafe occasionally. It's around $2.50 for a cappuccino, which isn't bad. It certainly tastes much better than the coffee available in the buffet.

Service: the service onboard was good all around. Our stateroom attendants and waiters made an effort to know our names and provided excellent service. The rest of the crew was also outstanding. An example of the good service we received was when two of us was to share a deck chair, and a crew member got us an extra one without us having to ask.

Entertainment: We only went to one show, since the shows for the late dining folks are at 10:30. and a lot of the time we wanted to be up early to go ashore. We went to see and 80's themed show. The dancing and singing were done well, but the costuming was slightly disturbing (and therefore rated PG-13). We also really enjoyed the singers in the Atrium who performed nightly. They did an awesome job.

Open Decks: the Valor has a jogging track, basketball courts, mini golf, a water slide, and a number of pools. We never had trouble finding a deck chair, which was a new thing for us. My only grievance is the extremely loud music they had blasting constantly. I couldn't even hear myself talking on the pool deck. If you head farther away through, there are more chairs open and it is harder to hear the music.

Debarkation: The fastest we've ever had. We were zone 7, and therefore supposed to debark at 9:20-9:40, but Valor was running ahead. We waited for a while after our zone was called, and then debarked. The process was quick and painless, we were outside in under 20 minutes and at the airport around 9:30, which was our original debarkation time. This process was much better than on previous cruises, where we spent hours waiting in lines to get through customs.

Overall, I really enjoyed Carnival. Compared to the other cruises I have taken, I liked the atmosphere of the Valor more. It seemed more laid back and relaxed than I have experienced on other cruises. I would readily cruise with Carnival again and hope to do so in the future. Less

Carnival Valor Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean

Overall Ratings

Sail Date: December 2012
Family & Children
Rates
Value for Money

Cabin review: Interior

4F7323
Good room, quiet deck, but you can hear the elevator 'ding' from down the hall late into the night.

Grand Turk is one of the most beautiful ports I have visited. The ship docked right on the beach, where free chairs are available. We got of the ship around an hour after docking, and had trouble finding chairs, so get off early. The beach and facilities are gorgeous. We also had the opportunity to do some duty free shopping in port, which was great.
Read 1340 Grand Turk Reviews

We didn't book an excursion in La Romana as we weren't planning to go ashore, but changed our minds last minute. There is nothing in the port itself besides a small duty free shop, bathrooms, and an information desk, to we took the Choo Choo Cana city tour. It costs around $17 per person for a 45 minute ride into town and back again. Overall, not the best port, but I am happy that we ventured off the ship and saw the island.

Having stayed in Nassau before on a vacation, we decided just to go to Atlantis. There are lots of taxis available in port, and if I recall correctly it costed around $5 per person for the ride there. At Atlantis, there is the option to buy a resort pass for $70 per person, which we thought wasn't worth it since we'd already been to Atlantis, so we just wandered around the resort and nearby shops and then returned to port.
Read 4036 Nassau Reviews

This is the second time that we have docked in San Juan on a cruise. We decided to walk around the city, and ended up going to Castillo San Cristobal. It was an awesome experience. The fortress is amazing to see, and the views of the city are breathtaking. Overall, it was a really enjoyable day.
Read 2237 San Juan Reviews

Published 01/09/13

Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Valor Review

Carnival Valor Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean

Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?